My Own Brother?

After my wonderful experience with Spencer, I floated through the rest of the week. On Saturday, I woke up and smiled. Life's turning out alright after all.

I heard a knock. "Who is it?" I asked groggily.

"It's mom. Can you come out?"

"Sure, just a sec." I stood up and walked to the door. "What's the matter?"

"We need to talk. Downstairs." Without waiting for a reply, my mom matched down the steps.

"Um, okay." I followed her down the stairs.

She pointed at a chair. "Sit."

"Yes, ma'am," I muttered.

"You know how it's been just the two of us for a while, right?"

"Uh, sure?"

"Come on, be serious."

"Okay."

"And that's fun, right?"

"Yeah...?"

"But it gets lonely sometimes, doesn't it?"

"Mom, what's the point?"

"Okay." She took a deep breath. "I want to adopt a baby boy."

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. "My own brother? Awesome!"

My mom breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm so glad you're excited!"

"Of course! I've always wanted a sibling!"

"I'm so happy!"

"This is gonna be great. Since I'm a little older now, it'll be like you and me raising a boy."

My mom laughed. "That's a little weird. But I'm excited! I kinda sorta already talked to the adoption agency and they have a boy available. He'll be ours in a month!"

I squealed. "This is amazing! What are you gonna name him?"

"I'm not sure. You see, I want to consult your father about it, but I don't know how to contact him. I want him to-"

"I know how to contact him! Just call out local army academy and they can get us in touch with him." (Note: this is not accurate. It's just for the story.)

"Will do." My mom ran over to the phone. "Hello? Yes, I would like to contact my husband. How important is it? I want to name my new child, that's how important! Thank you." She put the phone away from her mouth. "She's putting him on!" She lifted the phone back to her mouth and began talking into it. "H-Hello? Steven?"

I heard a muffled voice, and my mom put him on speaker. "Steven Briggs at your service."

"Hey Dad!" I yelled into the phone.

"Hey! Back away from the phone a little?"

I laughed, but my mom cleared her throat. "We have business to take care of," she whispered to me. "So Steven," she said into the phone. "I have something I need to talk to you about."

"Really? I thought you called just to say hello," he said sarcastically.

My mom wasn't in the mood. "I'm serious. It's important."

"Okay."

"Here goes nothing: I'm adopting a baby boy."

"Y-You are?"

"Yes. And I wanted to consult you for the name."

"Honey, are you sure you're ready for this?"

"Wh-what's that supposed to mean?"

"You know what I mean, Becca."

"Mom?" I asked. "What is he talking about?"

"Another time, honey."

"You mean you haven't told her?" My dad said through the phone.

"Mom. What is he talking about?" I repeated louder, growing concerned.

"Becca, you tell her or I will."

"N-no, I will." My mom said nervously. "But later, we need to talk about the-"

"No. Tell her now. We can talk about the child afterwards."

"Fine! You leave for the army except your still in charge of me?!"

"I-"

My mom's breath hitched. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, I-"

"No, it's okay. I understand. But I do think you need to tell her."

My mom shut her eyes. She breathed and said, "Fine. Stay on the phone?"

"Of course. Go ahead and-"

"Will someone please just tell me what's going on?" I interjected.

"You mother will," my dad muttered.

"Just spit it out already."

My mom looked at me with fear in her eyes. "I... I almost gave you up."

1.8k!!! *screams internally*

Well hello! Sorry I haven't updated in a while :(

That's all.

Bye for now bookworms!

With love, JLB175