holiday preparation pt. 1

The last time I celebrated the mid-winter feast was the year before my sister's birth, the year before my step father died, the last happy year of my life...until now. 

It had been a week since that first embarrassing defeat by Benedict. The hibernal had fully set in and the landscape maintained a graceful ivory peace. The drifting snow fell silently to the already covered ground in large wet flakes. I watched it descend from the doorway of home and sighed, allowing a large white puff of steam to float from my lips. I took in this piece of respite before the days work was to begin.

My arms were sore, very much so, but I kind of enjoyed the feeling. A sense of accomplishment came with the pain. I took in another breath and let it out slowly before moving back into the house. The scent of nutmeg, anise, cloves and honey swayed around me as to where Percy held his daughter and Rosy her son. The two of them were babbling back and forth to one another as the new parents each attempted to drink a small mug of the spiced wine they had clasped in their other hand. I finished mine in one final swig setting it on the table. I took Patience in my arms and sat down on the floor before Will was handed to me as well. I let them play with my hands, gripping onto my figures and giggling as I twiddled them. I looked at the sprigs of holly and evergreen that decorated the space.