Labor intensive

We ran as if there was a fire blooming underneath our feet. I was surprised as to the fact that I had to keep pace with her. I huffed and puffed as we finally came to a screeching halt in front of her door. She barged inside and as the door swung open I heard a cacophony of groans, concerned muttering, the hiss and pop of fire, and the bubbling of boiling water before the door shut behind me and I was trapped with the noise around me.

I looked up to see Percy lightly brushing back the hair of his supine wife who had a look of wild discomfort on her face.

"Relax dove." He muttered quietly as he continued to soothe her fly-away brown hair. She moaned in response, keeping her eyes screwed shut. He pressed a kiss to her temple and squeezed her hand once before laying in gently by her side and rising to his feet. 

"Mary, what do you need me to do?" 

"Give me the herbs Arthur." She said as she gingerly removed them from my grasp. She went over the boiling pot and took handfuls of each herb and threw them into the mix.

"Arthur, stir this slowly." I did as I was told taking up a large wooden ladle from beside the fire and stirred the bubbling, roiling, contents tenderly, trying to avoid spilling any of the precious liquid. 

As I did so, I listened to Mary give Percy quiet instructions to move his wife into a kneeling position. I heard the creak of the bed and muffled shrieks as presumably Rosy buried her face into Percy's shoulder. I dutifully kept stirring.