𝐄𝐗 𝐁𝐎𝐘𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃

EX part two, universe two
summary: after the fight, it just doesn't work out
genre: angst
warnings: crying, shame/guilt (?), breaking up, shouting and yelling

(put on your sad emo playlists cuties you're gonna need them !!)

-💌-

ten months later

MASON'S pov

i can't help the tears that fall from my eyes as i watch the two of them. the same stupid cafe they come to every stupid sunday morning where they have their stupid breakfast during their stupid weekly date. that could've been me, but i chose to believe millions of people on the internet instead of my girlfriend.

and now she's my ex.

i watch the corners of her mouth turn up into that big smile i miss so much as she laughs at something he said while pointing out the window. no one else in the world smiles like that.

i should be the one making her laugh like that.

seeing them together, seeing her so happy, brings that swirling feeling in the pit of my stomach, like anxious butterflies. if guilty butterflies exist, that's probably what they are. just thinking about that day makes the horrible feeling in my stomach return.

ten months ago

NO ONE'S pov

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME MASON? I'M TELLING YOU THE TRUTH! THE PHOTO IS TWO YEARS OLD!" she screams, finally getting angry with him. he has the audacity to shut her out for a whole week only to come to her house just to shout at her.

"I WANT THE TRUTH Y/N WHY WON'T YOU GIVE THAT TO ME?" the girl lets out a frustrated scream through gritted teeth before looking back at mason with undecided eyes: they flick between being angry and hurt. but she has cried enough for this boy over the last week.

eventually she chooses angry.

"mason." she starts, grabbing his attention with an unforgiving tone of voice. he can't tell anymore if the water on her face is tears or just the rain. "i have done nothing," y/n breathes heavily, her eyebrows furrowed low. "but give you the truth all. fucking. week."

mason just stands there, getting soaked to the bone, afraid of what's to come for them. he doesn't know what to say, he doesn't even know what to do, he doesn't know what to think. but as he's about to say something again, she speaks.

"and if you can't see that mase... then maybe we shouldn't be here anymore."

mason's heart picked up and he grabbed both of her hands in his own. "i'd go anywhere for you baby please just-"

"no mase." she looked straight into his eyes, her own now reverting back to upset, now he can see her tears. "we shouldn't be here, in this relationship, anymore."

and his heart sank once again. that's the first time in the ten months to come he felt the horrible guilty butterflies. he gripped onto her hands tighter than before, afraid of what would happen if he let go. she wiped away his tears without letting go of him. he speaks up, but only in a whisper: "i'll change, baby, please don't leave me."

a slow silence passed through them. it wasn't comfortable but it wasn't awkward either, just quiet. looking at each other, thinking about each other. with a shaky inhale, y/n spoke up. "i can't be with someone who will choose the whole world's opinion over mine. i love you mason, i really do, but i can't." she said quietly, moving a drenched curl away from his face.

"i love you y/n, please. i'll choose you next time, i'll always choose you baby." he put their foreheads together for the last time. in retrospect, he knew it was the last time he would do so, he just didn't want that to be true. and, even though he knew it was coming, what she said next broke him in a way he could never have expected.

"there won't be a next time, mason."

present

MASON'S pov

i grab my keys from beside my on the small cafe table and get up, the chair makes a horrible screech across the floor as i do. i know the entirely-silent cafe's customers are the looking at me, but i look to one person in particular.

and she looks at me too.

we hold each other's gaze for a while before her boyfriend brings her back to earth. i slightly hear her say "no, sorry it's..." her eyes flicker up to me again and back to him with a smile. "...nothing."

nothing.

i'm nothing to her anymore.

with that i carefully tuck my chair back in and stand up straight. the spacious cafe seems to suffocate me. i hurriedly get out of the cramped building, the same one i came to every sunday morning just to see the girl i lost.

and i never, ever go back.

- 💌 -

AHHHHH I'VE BEEN PLANNING THIS CHAP FOR SO LONGGGGGG

OMG I HOPE YOU LIKE IT

BASICALLY I COULDN'T DECIDE IF I WANTED THEM TO STAY TOGETHER OR BREAK UP SO I WROTE BOTH I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE EXCITED TO WRITE A CHAPTER IN MY LIFE

i'm sorry for leaving you on a cliffhanger all week, next chapter will be very fluffy to make up for it but i'm gonna have to post it tmrw instead of today. ik it sounds a bit stupid but i promise three chapters this week so you'll get three chapters. the last one will just have to be a bit late !!

"i wanted you and i cried for you and i hated you and i hated you because... because i would've chosen you no matter what and you took that away from me💗"
amanda collier - the best of me