Chapter thirty-nine

Start from the beginning

Rolus knew he was clingy, but he needed to savour Luke's scent, touch and proximity before all of it was ripped from under his feet.

Luke didn't object. He wrapped his arms around Rolus.

The moment the first tear escaped, it was like a floodgate was opened. The impending doom was hard on Rolus. It was just a matter of when the Netlac would take effect.

All he wished for was for the Netlac to take effect when they were both in the comfort of their own Packs. He would have to string a story along of why Luke would act the way he would.

Luke just held him when he broke down. He whispered assuring words, that all will be well.

Rolus wanted to laugh at that. His world would end when Luke forgot all about him. But for the moment, he pretended like all was well, and stopped counting down.
_________

The drive back to their Packs was filled with suffocating tension. It was tension on Rolus' side. He didn't know how to act. His heart felt heavy, and he felt the impending doom choking him.

Luke tried so hard to pry the information from him, but Rolus was not easily swayed. This drove an edge in their relationship. Rolus didn't let the drift affect him because he knew in a few seconds, minutes, hours or days, Luke would be his sworn enemy.

He rested his head on the window, watching the scenery pass by. He knew he should be cherishing every moment with his mate, but he couldn't even bring himself to look at him.

Luke kept on giving him worried glances whilst he drove the rental.

They had agreed that Luke would drop Rolus at his Pack, then Luke would drive to his. They thought it was better to address their Packs separately.

Rolus didn't even see the need to tell his Pack that he was mated. It was a waste of time because eventually, Luke was going to forget about him. He knew that his Pack would know who his mate was by their mixed scents, but at this moment, he didn't care.

He was tired. He was tired of keeping secrets. He was tired of not being able to love his mate freely. Hell, he was tired of the world, of his Pack, responsibilities and his devotion. He just wanted to be with his mate. He was tired of the endless sacrifices he made, and continued to make. He was tired of it all.

When he felt Luke's hand on his shoulder, he came back from his mellowing. He realised that they were at his Pack border. He needed to leave.

"We're here," Luke said, awkwardly gesturing to the scenery in front of them.

Rolus nodded, not moving.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Luke asked.

Rolus didn't verbally reply. He just tugged Luke to him and embraced him. He hugged him so tight, and didn't think of letting go. He tried to memorize his scent - even though he would never forget it. He tried to memorize the feel of his touch - even though there were layers of clothing standing in the way. But he tried to memorize everything and nothing.

"Fuck! I'm going to miss you," he murmured against Luke's collarbone, his voice mumbled. For him, there was no tomorrow. There was only now. There was no certainty that tomorrow Luke would recall their mate bond.

He felt himself shake, still holding on tight. He couldn't let himself let go, but he had to.

"I'll miss you too, Rolus. But you will come by tomorrow, right? I will have spoken to my Pack and calmed down Peter. You won't have a problem there," Luke said.

Rolus slowly let go, looking Luke in the eye. He dodged Luke's question, and averted his eyes. He didn't make a move to move.

He heard Luke sigh.