One : Rude Strangers, Ms. Earphones and Nobody

Chapter One

"Jade ! Come here !" Karen shouted throughout the hall. I rolled my eyes as I walk faster towards her. I clutched on the books from the library harder, preventing them from falling.

"What is it ?" I asked her in a flat tone. She frowned.

"Stop being so childish and chin up," she demanded. "Alleta told me that she's hosting a party tonight. Wanna come ?" she offered. I raised my eyebrow.

"Any occassion ?" then she looked at me in disbelief. "You've got to be kidding me, right ?" I shrugged.

"It's a fucking New Year's Eve !" she widened her eyes. I rolled my eyes.

"Language, and I don't really care about New Year's to be honest," she slapped my arm, making me almost dropped all of my books.

"Stop studying, have fun a little ! Maybe you'll find someone new !" she suggested. I pushed her away.

"Whatever, I'd rather stay inside and study, or watch some movies" she looked at me in disbelief. She walked infront of me, blocking my way and crossed her arms. I tried to turn left, but she followed my steps. I sighed in defeat.

"Sure, whatever. Happy now ?" Karen smiled at me while I just rolled my eyes at her.

"Yes ! Finally !" she said in triumph. I chose to ignore her while she's blabbering about what she's going to wear and what I should wear, and other things.

I've never like going to parties. It's not that I think it's a waste of time and whatnot, but I just hate to socialize with random strangers, even though we're not actually strangers. Alleta is Karen's cousin, and we've hung out a bunch of times. I know she tried to get close to me, but I always push her away. It's not that I don't like her, but again I don't like to socialize with people in general.

Alleta Peterson's parents are rich, and so does she. She's always threw a bunch of parties monthly, which people described as the best party ever each time they came, and it's private and invited only. I've been to her party once, and yes, indeed it was filled with people and all of them had fun, I guess ?.

That day, Karen forced me to go, like literally, she blackmailed to delete my research files if I won't come. So I did, and I was the girl in the corner, playing my phone while she venture for someone to makeout with. It was nice until some random guy tried to flirt with me. I ignore him, since I could smell the alcohol from his breath, but then surprise-surprise, he kissed me. I punched him in disgust and left.

Yep, it was fun for everybody else, except me.

We finally arrived at Starbucks, which oddly enough not as packed as usual. Usually there was a long line, but there's only one customer infront of the cashier. We stood in the line but the books I brought from the library are heavy. I blew out a breath. Jeez, these books are heavy.

"Get me some vanilla latte, Kay. I'm going to take a seat. These books are heavy as f," I told Karen patting on her back. She nodded and I hurriedly went to some random seat.

I dropped the books next to me and glanced outside. I noticed some black clouds in the sky. Maybe it's going to rain.

"Your coffee," Karen said, waking me up from my own mind. I smiled at her instantly.

My best friend in the whole world was the nicest thing ever that I've ever stumbled upon. We met at a cafe near uni when we're both still freshmen. A month after our meeting, we decided to moved in to live together, since she's late on paying her rent so I decided to help her. She refused at first but I insisted. So we're roommate ever since that, which is two years ago.