Chapter Forty

Começar do início

A wave of sadness washed over me as I thought about thanksgiving with her, but also with my dad. He would always make something on the grill, he made the best ribs I have ever had. I don't think anything can top his ribs honestly. If I was to remake them, I know it wouldn't taste same which would upset me.

I missed him all together. I missed his big hugs that literally made my day better, when I was having a shitty day. Even though I was a teenager he still found time to take me out, just me and him just so we could hang out. When work used to take up most of his attention and he came home late, he brought mom and me something back that he knew we liked. I felt a tear slip out of my eye and I didn't expect to start crying.

"Iris, are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine," I nod.

I quickly wiped away the tear and my eyes. I seriously couldn't start crying right now. All three of them looked at me with concern, at the worst timing possible Gray and Eli pulled up watching me wiping away tears I was trying to hold back.

"Pr- Iris are you okay?"

"I'm fine, I promise. I was just thinking of my dad," I half laughed.

I looked at the both of them and I could see the concern in theri faces. Elijah almost called me princess in front of everyone, but he was able to cover that up quickly. I quickly changed the top to something else about what the cooking preparations look like. I need to call my mom later, since she ain't called me.

***

I laid on the bed and I was listening to the phone ring, while I waited on her to answer me. This was my second time calling her and I rolled my eyes as I had to wait. This woman loves being on her phone as well, always on the phone with someone, but I'm tryna call you and you don't want to answer. She answered the phone and I smiled as I saw her face on the phone.

"Put di ting deh so."

She pointed over to something and the person responded. She looked at the phone and she smiled at me. I gasped when I saw her, she had a wig on that was red that was reaching just below her breast. Her eyebrows were done, eyeshadow was done and she was wearing a dark red matte lipstick.

"Mhmmmm okayy, where is you going?"

"Mi ah look man," she cackles.

"Nahh mummy for real where you goin?"

"I just told you."

"Ooh, so you're going a date," I grin.

"Hmm."

"Aww I'm happy for you, what's his name?"

"Mind yo bluclart business."

"Excuse me!?"

I looked at her appalled and shocked, I was in disbelief. I put my hands on my chest and looked her, blinking.

"Mi, ah joke. I'm going to your Aunty Trisha birthday party."

"Oh."

"Why do you sound disappointed?"

I rolled over on the bed and I sat up, crossing my legs.

"Because I thought you were going out to look man, because you look good."

"Mi know mi look good, don't have to tell me twice."

"Okay, okay, okay."

She rolled her eyes and she looked further into the camera and she looked like she was trying to look for something.

"Where are you?"

"At a friend's place for thanksgiving."

"Ooh, you alright though?"