Checkmate

...

..

.

(Y/N) grunts as she pulls herself up and onto the roof, rolling onto her back and looking up at the stars for a moment. She closes her eyes, sighing softly before rolling over and pushing herself up.

She crouches as she makes her way across the roof, gasping softly and ducking behind the greenhouse when she spots a guard.

"Man, you're not gonna believe what I'm looking at," Hank speaks with disbelief, staring out to the herd. "There's gotta be two-- three thousand of them out there."

"In the parking lot?" Tavia questions through the walkie-talkie.

"No, not in the parking lot... I can't see them all, but-- I see the dust they're picking up."

(Y/N) carefully creeps around the roof, looking for a way in.

"So you're not sure?"

"What, about how many there are?"

"Yeah."

"How can I be?"

(Y/N) tries the greenhouse door, wanting some more cover and cursing quietly when she sees it locked shut.

It was quiet, Tavia sighing. "Fuck. I hope they pass us."

"God, yeah," Hank sighs as well. "You think we're ready this time?"

"I don't know. Bill thinks we are."

"Course he does," Hank scoffs. "But he thought the same thing last time."

"We learned a lot since last time."

(Y/N) tries the door leading inside, rolling her eyes with annoyance when she feels it was locked.

"Is it enough, though?"

"We'll find out if they turn this way."

"Yeah... Yeah."

(Y/N) watches the man warily as she quickly and silently darts across the roof, making it around the greenhouse. She looks around, spotting a skylight and rushing over to it. She leans on the glass and peeks inside before popping the lid open, swinging her legs over the ledge. With a heavy sigh to calm her nerves, she drops down.

She winces as she lands loudly, the crate creaking under her weight. (Y/N) moves down the crates carefully, pausing when she sees Tavia sitting on a chair next to the radios.

Tavia rises, pacing as she talks Hank through the walkie-talkie.

"It's crazy about Reggie, huh?" Hank questions, sighing sadly.

"Yeah..."

"You think Bill..."

Hank trails off.

(Y/N) makes her way down quietly, watching Tavia warily.

"Go on," Tavia encourages.

(Y/N) makes her way across the shelf, wincing and catching herself as she nearly slips off. With a quiet breath of relief, she continues.

"Nah, it's just... I was wondering if you thought Bill maybe..."

"Spit it out, Hank."

"... I don't think Bill was gonna let him back in."

Tavia thinks for a moment, "huh. You don't?"

"No. Do you?"

"... I don't know." Tavia considers it for a moment, sighing as she changes the subject. "So really, no bullshit. You think we're ready?"