30. Half of me

The news made Shubman drop his bat on the ground. He walked fast towards the stand, removing the helmet and loosened his gloves throwing them just near the stand.

He sat on the bench, turning deaf ears to anyone that called him. His eyes blurring as he removed his phone from his kit bag, and tried calling Ishan

"The no. you're trying to call is switched off Pls-" Shubman cut the call at the annoying computerised voice.

He tried calling again and again for more three to four times when Rohit snatched the phone from him.

Shubman's eyes widened, but anger clouded his eyes. "You guys are LYING! Ishu has promised me he's going to come back to me. He has promised me Bhaiya!! Stop with this prank! He is here isn't he? H-he should be here.. pls pls tell me this is a lie." Shubman dropped on the bench as his held his head in his hand and started sobbing.

Ashwin placed a comforting hand on his back, trying to calm him. Rohit's eyes were moist itself, but he controlled.

Being the Captain and also one of the seniors of the team, the skipper was used to fight any battles for his team on the ground. But when it came for the health of his teammates, not to mention Ishan being his favourite junior, even Rohit's faith was stumbling.

After Rishabh's accident, everyone in the team became too close and extra protective over each other. Checking up on each others on group chats, keeping each other updated about their health if someone is injured or ill. Atleast having one of the teammate on their speed dial was a rule.

Especially, Rohit and Virat were the team's "emergency-pills" as they were called by the ICT.

Already, the team had gone through a difficult time when Rishab was almost lying on the death bed, but the youngster fought hard and strong for his passion for cricket and all the team mates were quite happy with his progress.

But, imagining the loss of one more member, especially the "lifeline of ICT" made Rohit's gut drop. Especially at such a time, where his own shoulder to cry on, Virat, was not here.

With a heavy heart, Rohit stood in front of Shubman and made him look up. Shubman with blood shot eyes and tears looked at the skipper.

Unable to control his emotions, Shubman hugged Rohit and sobbed badly. After a lot of self control, even Rohit let out a betraying tear as his breath shuddered.

"Pls Shubu... don't cry. You have to stay strong. You have a country waiting for you and Ishan would not want you to give up. We all are here.. we are yet to be updated about Ishan's health or how serious he is. Rahul Sir has contacted the best doctors in the hospital, they'll look into the best care of Ishan. Please please stay strong" Rohit said, but he was trying to convince himself more than he was comforting Shubman.

Shubman looked up at Rohit with questioning eyes that made each and every team member's heart clench. "Ro-Bhai.. aap mujhe kaise situation mein daal rahe hoon? How should I choose between my love and my country? Agar aap mujhe meri jaan mang lete, toh bhi main khushi khushi se deta, par jab mera dhyaan, mann, the half of my heart...is fighting for his life, how can the other part of me even do justice to the game.. to my country?" Shubman asked, his voice cracking along the last lines.

The dilemma, that the entire team was facing could not be described in words.

A month without Ishan felt as if, the team was just surviving on stranded island, with no source of entertainment. They couldn't even fathom the thought of living without their sunshine energy junior.

Before Rohit could even collect himself to answer him, Shubman's phone ringed. It was Raj Kishan, Ishan's brother.

All their eyes widened and every member waited in anticipation of some news that they might receive from as soon as Shubman pick the call with trembling hands.