15. Tense

Numerous blood tests and scans were done on Shubman. A while ago Shubman had gained his consciousness, but Ishan could still notice the fatigue and exhaustion.

The team members and all were waiting outside Shubman's room. Shubman was put on Saline through IV. Ishan eyes blurred due to tears watching him in this state. He stood helpless at the sight of the tubes connected to Shubman.

Though Ishan's state was much better now, Siraj and KL had to literally calm him down when Shubman was brought to the hospital and soon was put on IV since his BP had dropped.

The doctor had come with the reports, Ishan was the first one to rush towards him. The other team members followed.

"Shubman Sir has got dengue. Nothing to worry, his platelet levels are normal and even temperature is now stable." Doctor said, and left after patting on Ishan's back for other patient.

They all released a sigh of relief. But the main question was what about world cup?

The only person in the room, who had totally forgotten about the world cup was Ishan. He could not stand looking at his boyfriend in that state.

Shubman, usually closed off guy, always let his guards down in front of Ishan. And Ishan like the sunshine guy he was, always wanted to provide his 'flower' with a lot of warmth. But now, the flower was drying and Ishan's sunshine didn't seem enough to support it.

A lone tear escaped Ishan's eyes. Bumrah who was lost in his thoughts, was brought to reality when he heard sniffle beside him. Turns out Ishan was controlling his tears, clenching the bench they were sitting on, his knuckles turned red.

"Ishan.. do not worry. Shubman is ok. And doctor even said he'll recover soon" Bumrah said and side hugged Ishan. His heart broke looking at the team's "happy-go-lucky" guy now looking just like a mess.

Ishan just let the tears drop as he rested his head on Bumrah's chest. "Jassi bhai, more than me, Shubi wished to play World Cup. Throughout the holiday he use to stress about it. He was so excited at the chances of him being one of the openers. The only moment he was sad about it when he heard that my spot on the playing 11was not fixed. But you know what? That didn't matter to me. His dream was coming true and now-now." Ishan sobbed.

The team members looked at Ishan's devastated state. Their heart clenched in sorrow looking at the younger lad. Ishan was a wonderful player but more than that, he was the most humble and emotional guy. When anyone needed any help, Ishan would be the 1st one. More than their junior, Ishan was like a little brother.

KL walked towards Bumrah and Ishan and patted the younger's hair. The younger looked up at him, with eyes bloodshot and teary. Rahul then sat beside him and said "Kishan.. Shubman will play in the world cup and I tell you what? He's going to create history. But if you can't seem to be strong then how can he recover quickly? You are his best friend. You have to motivate him and get him back to his form. Now get up and freshen up dear. We all have to meet Gill after he gets up."

Ishan nodded his head, he understood whatever Rahul was saying. He swiped his hand under his eyes and got up to freshen up.

"Kitna lagav hai inn dono Ko ek dusre ke saath. I remember the time Ishan hurt his eye during IPL how much Shubman was worried even while he was playing. I pray to God that Shubman gets well soon and joins the squad. Can't look at this state of our juniors" Hardik said and sighed at Ishan's retreating figure.

***********************************
In the hospital room, Shubman had opened his eyes, with lot of difficulty. His body ached and his each muscle screamed with fatigue.

He brought his one hand and ran over his face to clear out exhaustion when he noticed the IV cannula and the saline bag. Shubman's eyes widened and thought "what had happened?"

He saw a blue button with a symbol of a person. 'Maybe this for help?' and he thought and pressed it. Soon a nurse came inside the room, but as the door closed behind, Shubman could hear the commotion outside his room. His eyes furrowed.

The nurse asked about his well being and gave him a ORS tetrapack and asked him to drink it, to regain energy. Shubman nodded his head.

"Aapko Milne keliye, aapke ke team mates bahar rukhe hai. Bula do?" The nurse asked holding a "daily health chart" in her hand.

Shubman nodded his head and said "Ji" wanting nothing more than meeting his team mates, especially his boyfriend. He just wanted to hug and stay in the warm embrace of his lover more than anything.

As soon as the nurse left, the team mates entered his room. But hurriedly like a mouse, Ishan came first and ran towards Shubman.

Shubman smiled at him, his dimples visible even when moving his lips also hurt. Ishan sat on the chair nearby and clasped Shubman's non cannulated hand in both of his hands.

"Tu thik hai na Shubi?" Ishan asked as he caressed his hand, worry lacing this eyes and eyebrows furrowed. To Shubman it looked like his boyfriend had cried a lot but he didn't question and just replied him with a smile. "Haa ab thik hu. Waise kya hua hai mujhe?"
He asked sheepishly.

The team members chuckled. Rohit then with little worry and angry tone said, "Dengue hua hai tujhe! Hamesha group ke pranks se bachta hai, bade bhade bowlers ke balls se bachta hai, but ek macchar se nahi bach saka? We were so worried when you fainted. And ye humare chote mahashay ki toh Jaan hi nikal gayi thi tujhe dekh ke. Surya Ko puch le.. woh bichara itna confuse hua tha whether to help you or help this panicked Aatma" Rohit scoffed at the last comment. Everyone laughed the Captain's speech.

Ishan blushed and looked down, clearing his throat. Shubman looked at Ishan and an inevetiable smile appeared on his face. With his free hand, he raised Ishan's head raising his chin. They both looked at each other and got lost in each other's eyes. Ishan soon realised that they were in a room full of people so he light swatted his hand with red tinted cheek and Shubman laughed looking at him.

Siraj, who just stood behind Ishan cleared his throat and whispered lightly near his ear and said "Agar aap dono ka ho Chuka ho..can we continue with some world cup discussion?" Ishan just coughed lightly at his comment and nodded. He looked at the seniors who were chatting within themselves.

"Since Shubman is unwell, the board members have decided for Shubman to rest until he recovers completely. As soon as he recovers and passes all the fitness test, he'll join the squad." Virat said and Everyone cheered and hooted at the decision.

Rohit sushed everyone and said "BC, hospital hai. Dressing room nahi" Everyone kept silent at the Captain's command.

"Also.." KL spoke slowly and looked at Ishan. Ishan's eyes widened as everyone then turned to look at him.

"Kya hua?" Shubman asked looking at everyone gazing at Ishan.

"Also instead of Shubman... Ishan will be opening with Rohit for the Ind vs Aus match." Rahul spoke.

Ishan's eyes widened at the statement. His body shook to the core. He gulped and thought:

He could not.

He wasn't ready for this responsibility.

A tension now aroused in the room at Ishan's silence.

———————————————————

A short chapter but hopefully, you guys enjoyed it.

Since I'm in a para medic field, I literally was blank in converting some medical terms into laymen terms. Hopefully you guys understood what I was trying to express😅

Also an early update since I love you guys so much.🫶🏻😉

Abb jaldi se vote thoko! Comment aur share karo✨🥹❤️

(Also do you think, kuch aise hi hua hoga in real life? I mean Ishan being replacement just for Shubman? I'm so pissed at bcci politics. All I wanted was to watch Ishman play together in the SA tour 😭. But I'm happy that Ishan is prioritising his mental health over these idiots. Hopefully he makes a stronger comeback making the selectors realise their mistakes)