Chapter 28: Let's Play His Game

All the way back home, Taehyung didn't say anything. He knew he had placed a heavy burden on his boyfriend's shoulders and he was sorry for him. Taehyung also felt really bad for Seokjin because his mother and grandpa couldn't attend their wedding, even though his own mother might not be able to attend either. And then, there was another thing, another long consequence that Seokjin had to bear just to marry him.

"Your father." Seokjin broke the silence. "Let's play his game. Let's make this a business deal he couldn't refuse."

"Hyung..." A big lump in his throat prevented him from speaking some more. "Hyung... are you sure... that you wanna replace your mother's position as the chairman?" He asked slowly.

"Only then I can be your worthy partner, Tae. And that's only the first thing. We have to figure out the rest."

"I know how much you like simply being a pediatrician. I know how we like our spare time and laid-back life without a bigger responsibility. We could just elope... We could live somewhere far out of this country..."

"Your father has always been a bully to you and you've been running away from him for your whole life. It's time to make the end of it because I don't really like the idea of giving up my comfortable life and yours, and seem to be afraid of your father. I better face him and then live our lives openly and peacefully. And for me to be able to protect you, I have to meet his standards. I can't do that with my current position, he'll look down on me. Becoming the chairman would be my leverage to increase my standing in your father's eyes, so I can stand as an equal in front of him. If he gives me terms, I will bargain and fulfill that as long as I can have you. Let's end it now and for all, Baby. No more running for you. No hiding. No guilt."

"Hyung..." Taehyung choked. ".... thank you so much..." he whispered softly.

"As long as you want me...." Seokjin added his final words.

"Of course!" Taehyung hastily convinced him. "I want you... I love you... Please don't let me go... I'll do anything!" He reached for Seokjin's hand on the gearshift and squeezed it firmly. "I'll do my part!"

Seokjin glanced at him and smiled softly. "Then get all your ID and paperwork ready for our marriage! We'll apply for US visas on Sunday. And don't forget to apply for a week's leave to the HRD at the end of this month."

Taehyung nodded and smiled back. "Okay..."

"About your mother...." Seokjin paused. "It's all up to you..."

Taehyung went silent again. He knew the possibility, his mother always submitted to his father's will. He couldn't risk his future by telling her about his plan before he secured everything legally. He sighed with a heavy heart. I'm sorry, Miss Ha-Yun...

***

*

Kim Ha-rin had been Seokjin's stepmother for about 17 years. Seokjin's father, Kim Hyun-woo, married her about two years after he divorced. With her sweet nature and years of relentless efforts to reconcile his husband and his stepson, Ha-rin finally won Seokjin's heart, especially after her first son, Yoojun, naturally got attached to his dearest big brother easily. The cute toddler charmed Seokjin effortlessly and melted his heart. Later on, when her daughter, Yoona, was born, she too became another icebreaker among them all.

About 6 years ago, her family of four moved to Spring Valley, Las Vegas, USA, when her husband landed a job there. And now, Yoojun was 16 years old and Yoona was 13.

It had been a few days since Seokjin called Ha-rin and asked for help. Because Las Vegas had been legally recognized the same-sex marriage since 2014 under the jurisdiction of Nevada and also open for non-US citizens, it was obvious that this place would be Seokjin's number one choice for getting married. And Ha-rin was ecstatic to welcome Seokjin and his fiance at her home, and even more so, to prepare for their wedding there.

And today, Ha-rin already got everything Seokjin needed, from finding a chapel for the ceremony, contacting a priest as an authorized marriage officiant, and collecting all the information they would need for non-US citizens to get a legal marriage certificate, and also two other important things Seokjin specifically mentioned.

Of course, Ha-rin did more than just find a chapel. She found a whole venue instead, a villa belonging to the golf country club where her husband was a member. The villa was situated by a small lake and many wedding ceremonies were usually performed there, whether indoor or outdoor. The villa was beautiful and the scenery was breathtaking.

She also hired a photographer, chose a wedding decorator, ordered a cake, and got the catering ready for their small dinner after the ceremony. And of course, she rented the villa for all of them to stay and enjoy the time during the wedding. But all of these things were still kept as a secret surprise for his stepson.

And Ha-rin was satisfied with all these arrangements. Now, she just needed to call Seokjin and tell him that almost all of the preparations were ready and she was excited to welcome them there.

***

*

A big bouquet of white amaryllis arrived at the Pediatric Department for Doctor Kim Seokjin. The large trumpet-shaped flowers with their pristine white petals in contrast to their rich green leaves, emphasized the flower's inherent beauty, allowing each bloom to stand out in its individual splendor. The card, though, was inserted in a sealed envelope, so no one could peek inside this time.

As soon as Seokjin got the bouquet, he brought it directly into his office and opened the envelope carefully to reveal the card inside.

"Dear Seokjin Hyung,
My love, my life, my home, my everything
I can hardly wait to become yours forever
To call you my husband that I'm so proud of!

Violets are blue, amaryllis are white
I love you and I'll cook dinner tonight."

~ Yours always"

Seokjin burst into laughter. That guy with his cheesy taste for poetry. He shook his head in amusement. He loved how Taehyung could always ease the tension and make him more relaxed. He loved how that man brightened even his dull days. He loved how Taehyung brought cheerfulness and made his life more colorful. He loved that man, period!

***

*

Seokjin walked to the parking lot with his big bouquet of amaryllis, searching for a red sports car, then knocked on its window. The man in the driver's seat let him in with a wide smile as always.

"Wooow, you get very beautiful flowers there! Must be from the most handsome and thoughtful fiance with a cheesy taste for poetry, hm?" Taehyung grinned.

Seokjin burst into another giggle. "Do you think that cheesy fiance would love to buy his wedding ring today?"

"HYUNG!!!!" Taehyung exclaimed with eyes widened and face lit up. "YES!!" He grabbed Seokjin with his two hands and pecked him all over his face.

"Mmmpphhfff...! TAE!!!"

Taehyung ignored his fiance's complaint. "You buy the one for me and I'll buy the one for you!" He said, hastily turned on the car, and rushed to hit the road ahead. If "impatient" had a name, it would be "Kim Taehyung".

***

*