Animal Mages

Wolves, Crocodiles, Bears, Cats, Snakes and Wild Rats,” Shawn counted the animals he had sent.

“These are the creatures that I sent into the beast continent so I wonder what the current politics is,”

“All these animals are wearing robes!”
“I definitely missed too much of their evolution!”

The outer ring of the tournament was made of mud blocks used to serve as seats for all spectators while the inner ring was just surrounded by a large wall.

Sparks began to appear in the inner ring which was the arena by the time the sparks began connecting together making noises before a female wolf with a red cloak covering her head appeared.

“Greetings, great clans of the continent! I am your host Ulmer from the wolf clan”
Mana stones laid below her and voices boomed into the ears of the spectators.

A loud round of applause and cheers followed after her appearance.
“Just the amount of power to use to appear on stage like that, it's one of the reasons why she's called the sparkling mage,”

“Truly, plus she's one of the winners of the great tournament,”

But of course, there are always those who are salty.
“A sparkling wolf mage, she might be strong but the way she uses her mana is just wasteful,”

“You've always got a problem with strong females,”

Not caring in the small talks going among the crowd, Ulmer continued to speak with a clear voice.
“You are welcomed to this once in every ten years event. The fifteenth great tournament that will be between the young mana prodigies of each of the beast clans”

She then raised one of her fingers waving it around while saying “But before we get to the main event. It will be wise for us to discuss the history of this tournament,”

She waved her paw now called hand as blue sparks flew out of it and began sparkling in mid air.

“As you all know or have been told, long before the time of the tournaments, our clans were at odds with one another. Always willing to exert dominance over the other leading in what is known as the fifty years war”

“Even the effects of the war are still felt in today’s date of a hundred and fifty years. And so in order for us to peacefully and needfully not slaughter each other to prove whose more powerful our leaders of then agreed to allow the clans to compete with their strongest prodigies”

“And with that note, I would like to thank the heads of the various clans for attending this event” She said with a bow to the figures standing some distance away from her.

“Now without further ado, the competition will start right away. Glories to the best winners!”

A large number of now humanoid animals all covered in cloaked approached the arena.

Each of them held a small mana stone in their hands and dropped it at the edge of the ring before performing a series of hand movements as blue flashes of light shot out of their hands and entered the stones.

The glow from the mana stones became larger and larger until the glow had finally reached a point and gently took the shape of a dome.

Ulmer, now moved outside the ring, continued to host “This mana barrier allows everything other than mana attacks into or out of its area of reach. So if participants are knocked out of it they lose and as we all know, death is not feasible here,”

A huge leather bag filled with stones was brought to her and she placed her hand in it without looking before pulling out one “And the first we have is the Wild Rats warrior mage who is said to possess his power in his tail and known as Tail Mage”