Chapter 59

Logan

We eat our pizza and Hector remains in front of the fireplace, he's such a good dog and never begs at the table. I glance at Sage and see how radiant she looks and cute with some cheese dripping on to her chin. Without thinking I remove it with my fingers.

"Thanks." She says.

"No problem. So, have you had an offer yet from any of the hospitals? I know you don't want to stay and I get that only I still think it's a real shame." She bites into her pizza and finishes the last slice off. I take a sip of my beer.

"I have had one but I've not mentioned it to my folks yet or Ali." She pauses and plays with the bottle of beer in front of her.

"You going to tell me which one?"

"Nashville." Shit. I almost choke on my beer and only just manage to swallow. Okay, so I was thinking she'd applied closer to home. You know like West Virginia State. That's a fantastic hospital for a start. Then there is Richmond or Cincinnati or even Lexington, to name a few that are a hell of a lot closer than Nashville.

"Are you okay?" She looks at me wide eyed. Am I? Am I hell, of course I'm not alright. My stomach feels weird like it's tightening and there's a fist in there ripping it out, that and my heart which has plummeted to my feet.

"I'm fine." I know I don't sound convincing how can I possibly? After last night and being with her, the way our bodies moulded together like they'd never been apart, the way she tasted, her lips on mine, the look in her eyes as she gazed into mine. I thought we were going to have a going on. How dumb can I be? I want to punch myself in the face damn it for being such a jackass.

"Are you sure, only you look like you're about to choke?"

"I'm perfectly fine." It comes out a little more abruptly than I wanted it to, but it's out there now. "Sorry, I didn't mean to snap. Nashville, eh? That's quite some distance. You sure do want to get out of Willowbrook."

"Actually, I'm not one hundred percent. It's the only offer I've had after so many applications and I did try some closer to mom, dad and Ali. Trust me, it's not originally what I wanted but they do have a good fellowship programme."

"You've got to do what you want to do, Sage. If it feels right, then go with it. I'm sure you'll be able to come home and visit and your folks will travel to see you. Sure, it's about a seven-hour flight or something."

She intercepts. "It's seven hours and forty minutes. It's a haul." I rake my hands through my tousled hair.

I push my chair back from the table and reach for her empty plate and take them to the sink and drop them in. They can wait until later. Now I'm unsure what to do. My instinct is to grab her and hold her body to mine, and inhale her fragrance, to feel her pressed up against me. My entire body is longing for her and so is my heart.

I wish I could turn it off but I can't. I've always loved Sage and I don't think that will ever change. And where do we go from here? This is only going to tear me apart. Again. If she decides to move half way across America.

"Where does this leave us?" I ask her. She stands and comes towards me as I lean with my butt against the sink, my hands resting on it to my sides. Sage slips her arms through the loop of mine and rests her hands on my lower back. Her face is tilted up, her lips are so kissable it's all I can do not to. I cave and lower my head and greet her lips with my own.

My heart is going to pay for this, I just know it is.

I'm praying that she decides not to leave, seriously I don't think I can take it again.

Our tongues find each other, I nip at her lower lip and suck on it. Sage groans and pushes her body closer into mine. I feel myself stir in my jeans, this woman is going to be the death of me.

I'm fighting hard with my head that keeps sending me warning signs and my body that she is setting on fire. My dick strains against my jeans, by reflex I push my hips forward knowing she can feel how rigid I am for her.

"There's nothing I can do to change your mind?" I ask as we pull apart from our kiss. Her breathing is fast, her breath catches and I can see by her pupils how much she wants me.

"Depends how good you're going to be at fucking me later." That makes me chuckle. She never was backward at coming forward.

"Well, I'll be sure to fuck you so you can't move Dr Sage Bennett."

"You better, Logan. I'm counting on it."

Without hesitation I swoop her up into my arms and stride to the stairs. I check that Hector is still comfortable and smile as I hear his gentle snoring. Sage rests her head on my shoulder and her arms around my neck. Then I take the stairs two at a time.

She's going to get it so much that she is never going to want to leave my bed again.