Chapter 18

Sage

Needless to say I had an utter rubbish sleep. My eyelids are heavy and my eyes feel like pins have been stuck in them. I groan as I open my eyes. It's just getting light which means it can only be around six-ish. Aarrgh. It's a Saturday and I'm wondering what on earth I can do today hanging around her in Willowbrook.

Chances are I'll heave over to Bluebell's diner and grab some pancakes or maybe a muffin. Perhaps both. My stomach begins to grumble as if on cue. If I had a dog I could go out walking with it, that'd be nice. But hell, I think I'll take myself off for a hike after breakfast.

There are some amazing trails. My favourite is the McAfee Knob it's a slow but steady climb with stunning scenery from the Appalachian trail. Logan and I used to go there often when we were younger. It brings back a whole flood of memories that I push to the back of my mind because for today, I seriously am not going there in my head.

The only problem is it's around a four to five mile hike and then back. Not sure I fancy camping out there on my own. I've never done this before. Like I said, it's something Logan and I used to do. It surprises me that all the time I spent outdoors as a kid and teenager seemed to dissipate during my time in Michigan. Not that there aren't scenic treks and the like in Michigan but I never found the time. With a busy schedule at the state hospital and my relationship with Miles, there never seemed to be any time to be able to get outside. Our holidays were usually city breaks something Miles favoured mostly to meet friends and his huge family dotted between Miami, New York, Texas and California. We travelled extensively. But outside trekking, hiking, biking, running – never. Do I miss it? Now I'm back here and it's on my doorstep it hits me just how much I missed it.

Inhaling, I reach my arms over my head and stretch my fingers and toes. I take a few deep in and exhales then swing my arms over and forward to bend at the waist and touch my toes. That feels better, my back has been aching the last few days. I'm thinking it's all the stress coming out.

The house is still as I slip my legs from under the duvet and hang them to the floor and do my neck rolls. I'm not one for dashing straight out of bed, honestly it's not that good for you. It much better to ease yourself into your routine, the body and heart need that little bit of time to adjust to the pace you're going to set for the day.

The early morning sunrise is beautiful as I draw the cream curtains open and look out onto the back where my mother's beautiful garden can be seen. Plants, trees and shrubs adorn the space and beyond that is just large fields that once belonged to her family but had to be sold off to pay for food on the table. Thankfully we still have this gorgeous view and not some housing project go up. I shudder at the thought. This is the view I know and love.

Don't get me wrong, just because it's stunning doesn't mean I don't want out because I do. This is only a short stay until I can get placed in a state hospital.

I slip my feet into my summer slippers and grab my jade kimono robe and throw it over my body and tie it at the waist. Just in case dad is wandering around early, he likes to be up with the birds.

Downstairs I find him sitting at the same table mom and I were at last night having our chat, his glasses with steel rims are practically falling off his nose as he reads the local newspaper. "Good morning, sweetie." He says glancing up and adjusting his glasses.

"Morning, Pop." I place a kiss on his head then head straight over to the coffee machine and pour myself a tall mug of coffee, I add some cinnamon and a bit of vanilla powder. Mmm, it is delicious.

"What are your plans today then?" He asks as he folds the newspaper and places it on the table. Can't tell you the last time I saw anyone reading a newspaper, we're all so damn busy with our mobiles that it makes me smile. In the kitchen with dad, his glasses, the paper on the rustic table – it feels like I've just been transported back in time.

I'm eight years old, long braids, braces and my school pack on ready for dad to walk me to the bus stop before he would drive himself to the office for the day. It even smells the same of roasted coffee and vanilla beans. How simple life was then, being a kid was the best. I sigh.

"That's a deep one. What's on your mind this early in the morning?" I move my chair closer to him so I can rest my head on his shoulder. He pats my right hand. "C'mon out with it. You know you can tell your father anything." Which is true, I can. Dad never judges or criticizes me. He is the best.

"Nothing much. Just you know, the break up with Miles. Moving back home. Not having a job, no house. It's just overwhelming, Dad that's all."

"I can see that, Sage. But one thing at a time. Firstly, you're back with us which is wonderful for your mother and I. Secondly, you will find another job wherever you want it to be. Although, naturally we'd love you to be closer to home this time. We miss you, Sage honey." I know they do. And to be honest I could have visited a lot more often than I did, but Miles wanted to always visit his friends and family and well you know exactly how it is, right?

"Thirdly." He continues. "A man will come into your life who will sweep you off your cute little feet. He will be the right man for you, Sage. Not that jumped up sprout who was all too important for his own good. You deserve a man who is going to worship the ground you walk on, who will pull your chair out for you at dinner. His eyes will light up when you walk in the room. His heart will burst out of his chest with pride knowing you are the one on his arm. Mark my words, girl there is someone out there waiting in the wings." I squeeze my dad's arm.

Do you think dad's get a guide book when they have daughters, they learn all the lines and the just the right things to say? Or do you suppose my daddy is just a little bit biased and he still believes in fairy tales? Of course he does. I'm his little girl. And why not believe in fairy tales? After all, mom and dad have been together for over thirty years and every day I see them have a little kiss, dad always pats my mom on her butt. The affection between them hasn't waned and despite some hardships they're still here, under the same roof with two daughters who have always felt safe, secure and loved without conditions.

I gather myself together and take a sip of my delicious coffee. "I was thinking of going to McAfee Knob." I tell dad.

"Along the Appalachian trail? That's some hike. Are you going to camp?"

"Not sure, I'm thinking about it."

"Just be careful and make sure you have the mobile of yours charged up and a battery pack with you just in case. It's a hike and a half that one. You've not been up it for over ten years."

"I know. Maybe I'll go part-way and then drop back down."

"That's a much better idea. I think I'd be happier with that. Unless of course you're giving Logan a shout." Now he's gone and done it. That word that begins with an L. It's all I can do from stopping my coffee coming back out my mouth.

My dad, seriously? I bet my mother's been speaking to him.

I flush. Why am I flushing? It's not even like I am remotely interested in Logan. "No, dad. Definitely not with Logan." With that I kiss him again on the top of his head as he wears this crooked little smile. I know that smile.

It's the one that says we'll see Sage, darling.