Chapter 30

Logan

I can't help chuckling because I have never come across another woman like Sage Bennett. She's always been headstrong. There was a time when we went horse riding once when we were teenagers. We'd gone to Montana on a trip when we were seventeen, our first trip away together. The log cabin we stayed in was perfect situated on a ranch with horses. Of course, the first thing Sage wanted to do was go horse-riding.

"Do you even know how to ride a horse, only I've never seen you do it?" I asked as she unpacked her suitcase. Which I have to say looked like she had packed everything she possessed in it. Me, I travelled light just a rucksack with a spare pair of jeans and some t-shirts.

"Sure, I can ride." Mm I knew that was a little lie because we had been together for a few years by then and we'd never gone riding.

"I don't think you have." I said looking at her suspiciously.

"Sure, I have when I was a kid. My folks took us on a holiday to Texas and I got to ride a horse then." It turned out they had taken her there and she had ridden a horse. ONCE. It's safe to say that Sage Bennett was not a skilled horse woman. Not to be deterred she decided we'd go out riding that afternoon. Our instructor led us round the yard and went through how we had to sit in the saddle how to use the reins and spent two hours with us. My ass was as sore as hell. It wasn't on my agenda to go on a flat trek the next day but oh no, Sage wanted to go. Off we went the following morning, a beautiful fall day in Montana with burnished red leaves on the trees. I tried to tell her that perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to go off on a track on our own and leave the main group at the front. Sage insisted we'd be fine that we were only going to check it out then literally turn back and join the others.

"They'll never know we left the group." She said. And off we went against my better judgement but when Sage wanted something, Sage usually got it and who was I to spoil her fun. At that point I had stars in my eyes for that girl, butter would melt for Sage just by her looking at it. Her horse saw a snake and reared causing Sage to be thrown from it. Thankfully, she didn't break anything or knock her head but she did have a bruised hip for quite some time and her pride was dented.

I look at her now as she sits on the battered leather sofa that yes, I did place in front of the stage. When I am playing up there, I want her to see me. I won't lie, originally when I saw her in Bluebell's diner the other day, I was still angry at her but life is too short to have a grudge and all those feelings I had for her, well let's just say they're back and in full force.

Now, all I have to do is convince her that I am the one she was meant to be with. It's going to take some doing since this lady sure has got a bee in her bonnet and is throwing me daggers right now with her eyes.

Daisy wanders up to her and sits down next to her. Naturally, I can't hear a word they're saying but whatever it is, it causes Sage to laugh. Her whole face lights up, her eyes sparkle and her smile is so wide that I can't help thinking what it'd feel like to have her lips on mine again.

"Ready, Logan?" Abe asks. "Let's get this show on the road. And remember don't be playing those mushy love songs until your second set. The guys want some uplifting stuff today. You hear me?" I grin widely, I have no intention of playing love songs for Sage tonight. Instead, I'm going to rock this house and give everyone a night they'll not forget.

Daisy gets up off the sofa and winks at me. What is she up to now? My sister can be a meddle maker at the best of times. Marshal Deacon hands her a glass of red wine, I watch as Daisy blushes then turn my eyes back to Sage who sticks her tongue out at me. I can't help laughing. She balls her fists and throws them down on her thighs.

"It'll be over soon sweetheart and then I'll take you home." I say through the mic. If looks could kill, I'd be a dead man.

"Are you guys back together?" Shouts out Dazel from the bar.

"Not yet." I drawl through the mic. Oh, hush. I know Sage is feeling mortified right now but there's no harm in a bit of fun. Shoot me. This girl needs to be carried home to my cabin, laid on my bed and have a night she'll never forget and I am just the man for her.

"I am going to kill you when I get my hands on you, Logan." She shouts out. I wait for my drummer Tommy to join me on stage, we do a quick couple of minutes warm up and dive straight into some familiar country tracks.

"Anyone have any requests?" I shout out to the bar.

"Yes, These boots are made for walking all over you." Sage shouts out and folds her arms in front of her chest.

"Coming right up for you, darlin'." Tommy and I go straight into the song for her, the words not lost on me. Hell, she's going to take some time to come round to my way of thinking but I'm a man on a mission and this time, I am not letting her go.

I'm going to make it so that Dr Sage Bennett doesn't ever want to leave Willowbrook or me ever again. 

Healing Hearts: A Second Chance, Small Town Romance Novelजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें