Chapter 27

Sage

Well this is a whole bunch of fun, not. Sitting on my mom's floral sofa – honestly it's been the same since I was growing up. It's cute and all but I think my folks home could do with a bit of modernization or color change. What was I saying? Sitting on my mom's sofa with my leg resting on two patchwork pillows. Those actually make me smile because I remember mom and I making them together for my sewing class project when I was about eleven or twelve.

The class had to come up with something seasonal, it was Fall running into Thanksgiving and these ones are squares with a turkey on, pumpkin pie, leaves in russet orange, greens, reds. For a kid, I think they turned out pretty good.

"Now, Honey keep that leg up and don't move. If you need anything I will get it for you." She places a glass of milk on the low coffee table in front of the sofa. Milk? I need wine or whiskey or something with alcohol in it to allow me to forget that a crew had to come and lift me off a simple trail. I'll never live this down. Ever.

"Now, should we get Dr Logan to come and take a look at it?" I swear I am going to launch myself off this sofa quicker than a nuclear missile any moment.

Through gritted teeth I manage to stay civil. "Not necessary, Mom. He took a look up on the mountain."

"Ah, but that was a few hours ago, dear. Perhaps we should give him a call and get him round again." Did she just wink at me? Did my own mother put Logan's name and wink in one sentence? She did. Jeeeeez-us. I throw my head back on the navy scatter cushions has propping me up with.

"Mom, I am a doctor. Just want to point that out to you. I do not need Logan over to take a look at my ankle. It's a sprain it will be perfectly fine. Besides, I can't be laying around here all afternoon. It'll drive me insane."

"Nonsense darling." Mom comes and sits down next to me and takes my left hand in both hers. "What you need is some soothing. I hear he has very special bedside manners." I swear to god, I am going to scream. My mother it would seem, is trying to play matchmaker only it isn't going to work. It was bad enough when he was checking it out up on the goddamn mountain, his closeness was turning me inside out and upside down. No way is he coming to my folks house to check in on me.

"Look, I think the best thing is I go up to my room and get some rest."

"Don't be like that sweetheart. You can stay down here and I will keep you company." Her face is all smiles and shining eyes. I actually think my mother is enjoying having me on this damn sofa like some kind of sick child.

"Oh, by the way. I forgot to mention that I have invited Logan and his folks over for Thanksgiving dinner." Choke me now someone, please before I do something irrational like gag my own mother. I slap my right hand to my head and feel my heart racing. Never mind the damn ankle being sprained, I think I'm going to die of a heart attack.

Logan. His folks. Thanksgiving dinner. All here. In this house. I have got to get out before that happens, we're not too far away from the holidays. Okay, I am probably over panicking because we've only just started to get into Fall and my mother does begin to plan for it, in February. I kid you not, she starts planning early perhaps not February but you get what I mean. I'm sure your mom is the same.

"I won't be here." Where did that come from? I haven't got anything secure but there is a handy motel over in Copper town. I can check myself in there if I haven't secured anything in a state hospital by then.

Her face drops and she squeezes my hand a little tighter. "Nonsense, of course you're going to be here. It's unlikely you'll get a new position in the next five weeks."

"Great, thanks for that Mom. Such confidence in me." I shake my head and stare up at the white painted ceiling and the wood fan light that hangs.

"I didn't quite mean it like that, what I mean is even if you did get a position you wouldn't have to run out on us all so soon. You could choose to start after the holiday." I don't say anything because I have to get out of here. I feel trapped and cramped and I've only been back a couple of days. I daren't even leave the house now because everyone will be talking about how Dr Sage Bennett had to be airlifted from the mountain. Instead I let out a groan.

"There, there." Mom says like I'm some five year old instead of a grown woman in her early thirties struggling with the fact that my ex left me without discussing our future and now I'm in such close proximity to my childhood sweetheart. How did my life get so complicated and confusing?

Miles is how. Bloody Miles. I swear if I see that man again I'll scream. As it is he has reached out a couple of times to let me know that he is getting on well and that he is sorry how things turned out. Like we were only together for six months instead of ten years.

There's a knock on the door. Mom lets go of my hand and smooths down her apron she is still wearing from baking, which by the way the cake smells delicious. I am hoping she's making my favorite red velvet cake. "Hi, how lovely to see you." I hear her voice lifted, that makes me feel on high alert. It's her for special guests voice. "Come on in, she's through there on the sofa." Same voice. Now I feel like getting up and hobbling as fast as I can because I know that tone and it's usually reserved for one person only.

And there you go, yes it was. He stands there taking up the whole doorway with his broad masculine shoulders. A black plain tee on that I can see his tattoos trailing up his arms and peeping out the top of near his neck. Those fine biceps on display as he has his arms folded in front of his chest and those damn narrow hips. My mouth goes dry. He has a smile on his face, that cocky one I want to slap right off.

"Came to check on my patient."

"Oh for fuck's sake. I am not your patient. Just get out. I am perfectly fine."

"No way to talk to your doctor now then is it?" He comes closer.

"I swear if you come anywhere near me I am going to scream."

"Ah, the mistrusting and hostile patient. Don't you worry I've come across all sorts of patients in my time. Go ahead scream, it may even make you feel a bit better." Then I hear him mutter under his breath. Did he really just say what I thought he said? His smile and tilt of his head tells me, that yes he did in fact just say, I'd like to hear you scream for something else. I fist my hands.

"Logan, would you like to stay for a nice piece of cake and coffee?" I groan. Is there no stopping my mom? Clearly not.

"Absolutely. Never pass up on one of your cakes." He tells her, all the while his eyes are fixed on mine. My heart is racing, cardiac over load coming on. Logan attack is happening. And there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. Someone please rescue me and quick.