Chapter 13

Sage

I've stopped dead in my tracks, Ali is yanking on my left arm. "What's wrong with you? We'll die of thirst if you don't get a wriggle on." She's full of good humour and of course I've heard through my mother, yes the local announcement service – that Ali has the hots for one Marshall Dayton. Of course, when I asked her on the way over as we walked, our arms linked together - she flatly denied it.

"Don't be so silly. He's just a friend. Jeez, Sage. We've known each other practically all our lives. What has gotten into you? You go away, come back for all of five minutes and making stuff up."

"I'm going on good authority, Ali. It's okay if you do. He's a great guy and he's seriously good looking with that boyish charm about him. You know, like an early Tom Cruise look." That got me a soft punch to my right arm.

"Behave, first he doesn't look anything like Tom Cruise." She paused and put her hands on her hips and cocked her head. "Okay, maybe a little with his grin, those alluring come to bed eyes and that dark hair."

"There you go, see."

"Still, doesn't mean I fancy him or anything. We see each other at Bluebell's in the morning and have a quick coffee, sometimes he comes over to the library when I'm working to check on things. You know, he's a decent guy and he does have a job to do. You know checking in on us all and making sure we're all safe and sound."

"Nothing much happens in Willowbrook, surprised he doesn't sip coffee all damn day. What is there to do for a Marshall in this tiny town." I said as we neared Lazy Duke's, hearing the noise coming from within. Ali had shrugged her shoulders.

"Damned if I know."

As soon as we stepped inside I knew it was a mistake. It's busy and I don't do really busy not even when I lived back in Michigan. Yeah we went out, Miles and I and sometimes I'd go out with my colleagues or friends but not that often. Honestly, being a doctor in the State hospital left little time for going out. I was mostly shattered, my body ached from tiredness and my eyes felt like lead weights nearly all the time. So, here we are being dragged towards the bar, making our way through groups of people. I look up. My heart misses a beat. Butterflies dance around my stomach and I want to fucking slap myself for having feelings like this, you know like a hormonal teenager.

Least my body has forgotten, I'm in my thirties and it won't be long before I'm a forty year old woman. That gets me like a bee sting to the back of the hand. I'm not married and I don't have children. Of course I wanted all of this with Miles and I'm trying hard not to go back to how I felt last week. I couldn't if I tried because dominating my view is only Logan. All six feet two of him, broad shoulders, muscular arms and I can see the veins in his forearms as he holds his pint in his left hand. Fucking hell. Why does that man have to look like a damn centrefold? I'm guessing he has the perfect man-v too.

"Hey." Ali yanks on me again. Soon I'm not going to have an arm left. She stops pulling and takes one look at me, then the direction I am looking and says, "ahhhh. So that's why." Her laughter isn't funny to my ears. Is she kidding me? "You've still got the hots for Logan over there. Damn girl." She blows out a low whistle.

I feel like turning around and leaving the bar immediately. His gaze is intense, he's not letting go of my eyes. My core heats up, the warmth is spreading through my body from the pit of my stomach, intensifying the longer he stares at me. Why can't he just stop? Now I'm wishing I hadn't opted for a dress, least ways not one this short. What on earth was I thinking? It's Lazy Duke's not some high-end restaurant in Michigan. I've seriously got to get back into the habit of living in my jeans and cut-off shorts. Not dresses fitted better to a cocktail party. Oh, the life I had with Miles is so far removed from this godforsaken small-town.

It's me who looks away and starts to turn back towards the door. "Oh no you don't big sis." Ali has me firmly by the left wrist. "You aren't going anywhere lady. You can't avoid him forever and at the moment you don't know how long you're staying for."

"Not for fucking long, I hope." I am not impressed but I do manage to avoid looking at Logan as Ali and I make our way towards the bar where she promptly orders shots of Tequila. Wow, it'll take me all of three shots to be on my butt. I'm not much of a drinker, more of a sipping a glass of wine kind of girl. These days that is. Before when I was with Logan we'd drink like most teenagers did, when allowed that is. A few beers here and there, sometimes we'd sneak a bottle of Tequila into my room when my folks were out of town that sort of thing. Heady days of youth, no hassle, no stress just fun, fun and more fun. I long for those days, to go back in time. Would I have done everything differently? Would I still have left Willowbrook?

I knock the first drink back, sensing that Logan is still looking at me. Why can't he leave already? "And ladies and gentleman," I hear Abe say into the mic where he has taken his place on the stand, "let's give it up for the one and only, Doc Logan." The crowd goes nuts, the girls are wolf whistling, I get that. Even though I'm still mad as hell at Logan for not choosing me back then, I have to admit he is a girl's wet dream. That pisses me off.

And there he is. Up on stage, all that fine prime man and the way his hips narrow and are encased with his long lean legs in those tight jeans, is enough to send my pulse into over-drive. God, I hate my body being a traitor like this. My mouth is dry and I am transfixed, like most of the girls in the bar right now. Except of course Ali, who I notice has left my side. I turn around looking for her and see she's huddled in a corner right by. You guessed it. The Marshall. I told you so!

Logan taps the mic. "Well hi y'all. We've got some old and new tracks today. Before we begin, I'd like to say that this first one is dedicated to someone very special in my life." There are more cheers and some clapping and then he starts to play the guitar. My heart melts, I'm melting at the sound of his fingers strumming away. It takes me back so many years to his bedroom and listening to him play just for me.

He begins to sing, the words come out and as he sings, tears begin to fall down my eyes. It's the first song he ever sang for me by my favourite artist, Dolly P.

If I should stay
Well I would only be in your way
And so I'll go, and yet I know
I'll think of you each step of the way

And I will always love you
I will always love you

Bitter-sweet memories
That's all I'm taking with me
Good-bye, please don't cry
'Cause we both know that I'm not
What you need

But I will always love you
I will always love you

And I hope life, will treat you kind
And I hope that you have all
That you ever dreamed of
Oh I do wish you joy
And I wish you happiness
But above all this
I wish you love
I love you
I will always love you

I, I will always, always love you
I will always love you

I'm a big ugly mess as I stand and listen, my heart feels as if it has shattered all over again.