Chapter 23

Logan

I am hopeful that Sage is going to come and help me out at the practice. The split shifts can work because let's face it, all my joking around about her getting back into my bed – I seriously need some help. I am overrun with patients at the moment.

The rest of the hike up has been pretty silent, I know when to stop pushing it and by her tone and her manner, kind of seemed like the best way to be. After all, I don't want to push her in the opposite direction and well, Sage does have a habit of running the other way.

I'm only hoping that she gives Willowbrook another go because it's a stunning part of the world to live here in Virginia. Our town folk are always on hand if you need anything, the community is close and most of us have lived here all our lives. It's a real place to call home, not like a large city where I can only imagine you are just another body, another number.

Hector has slowed down and is now more or less heeling by my side. The right thing to do would be to march on up to the top, we're only twenty minutes away at the pace we are walking. Together we walk in silence, except for the sound of leaves under our hiking boots and the odd twig breaking underfoot. The birds are singing and the sky is cloudless blue, it's beautiful, serene and just what is needed after a busy week.

It'll soon be autumn, my favourite time of the year here in Virginia when all the leaves change and we are graced with oranges, browns and startling reds. Especially stunning is the Northern red oak. I inhale deeply the air filling my lungs and I couldn't think of anything better. Other than of course feeling Sage's body against mine once again.

I'm wondering how I have gone from not wanting anything to do with her to suddenly wanting the warmth of her body flush up against mine. Maybe it's the close proximity, the missing her for so long. Life is too short to keep holding a grudge against someone and I have grown up. I'm no longer that young adult who thought his life had collapsed who went on a serial dating rampage to forget her until later in my twenties when I met my wife. I had a nickname that took me a long time to shrug off and I'm not proud of it. Manwhore. Yes, that is exactly what they called me and trust me there were no shortage of girls and women who wanted to be with me. I shake my head, was that really who I was during that phase? It makes me shudder but at least I never hurt anyone. They all knew the rules, hook-up only - nothing more.

"Ouch. Shit." Sage's voice brings me out of my thoughts, she has stumbled to the ground.

"Are you okay? What's going on?" I ask her now kneeling down beside her. The smell of lemons and coconut fills my nostrils. Her face is contorted like she is in pain.

"I think I've just sprained my ankle. It's painful."

"Let me take a look." Hector sits obediently then lays down bored with us stopping.

"I'm a doctor, Logan I do not need your help now get your hands off my leg. Right now." She is actually yelling at me. Damn this woman. She needs to be put across my knee and spanked. The wilfulness of her is still inside her.

"For goodness sake, Sage let me take a look. Why do you have to be so damn hot-headed all the time?" She huffs and leans back on her hands and raises her left leg.

"Well just don't start touching my legs, it is only the ankle." She is so full of indignation that I am fighting hard not to laugh and chuckle at her. Her lips are full and pouty, what they need is kissing long and hard. That'd take some frigidity out of her. I know what else would make her not be such a wound up tight ass. But I keep that to myself as I take a look at her ankle.

"Yep, it's sprained. We're near the top. Do you think you can make it to the top? Bryce's cabin is up there we can stay there the night and rest it. Tomorrow I can organise for the crew to come and lift you down. We've got not signal unless you've got a sat phone."

"Forget it. I am not spending the night in Bryce's cabin with you. Are you fucking kidding me right now. It's a one bed shack with just a small table and a chair. Oh and a fireplace. I am not sharing a bed with you Logan." I have to fight with myself not to pull her to me and kiss the breath out of her lungs. She is so damn adorable and sexy at the same time when she is this mad. Man alive. I can feel something weird happening to me. The question is, do I go with it or fight it?