Chapter 46

Sage

Okay, so I'm not going to lie to myself or anyone else. He is definitely doing it for me right now. I don't even want to try and fight it anymore, it has been friggin exhausting and I think I like the idea of being held in those strong arms again, to feel his fingertips on my skin again. What harm can it do?

Well, actually the way we left it all before – quite a lot of harm. Our hearts can get broken again and I don't think I'd recover from that so well. But he is charming, irresistible and I just can't help losing myself in his warm eyes holding that twinkle.

Before I properly engage my brain the words come out, "sure, I'll stay over at yours." He grins like he's the cat who got the canary. "Don't get any funny ideas. Let's just see what happens." There I had to get that in, even though my entire body is zinging right now and I just want to feel myself pushed up against his gorgeous broad chest.

"Hector sure is going to be surprised for me to have company." I'm relieved he has lightened the mood because it was getting heavy with the tension between us. Should we be doing this, picking up like we left off? Oh, god what if I tear his heart in two again? I'm so conflicted with all of this. I am going to blame my three-hundred and sixty degree turn on the wine.

The waiter approaches our table and asks us if we'd like anything else. "No thank you, we're good. Just the check please." Logan says as he reaches his hand across the table, our fingers make contact and the electricity that passes between us is just as it used to be. I'm in so much trouble right now but it's too late to pull out because my body would never forgive me and I am craving him right now. He's like some kind of drug that I am addicted to, god help me.

Logan leaves some cash on the table. Does anyone do that anymore? I mean pay with cash? I've not used cash since I can remember even when I go to Bluebells I just use contactless. I'd almost forgotten what real money looked like. "Did you tip?" I ask him. He raises his eyebrows like I've got two heads glued on me right now.

"Of course, what do you take me for?" Yeah it was a dumb question I guess. He comes to my chair and stands behind it as I move it backward just enough for him to take it and act all gentlemanly and help me up.

His hand is on the small of my back and I can feel his warmth radiate through me. That touch, it's already way too much but my body is on full Logan need mode right now and hell, I'm just going to oblige.

He guides me out of the restaurant and back to our cars in the parking area. "I'll drive, Sage. Like I said, you've had a couple of glasses. We'll come back in the morning for the your car." I guess that'll be okay since we're not in Willowbrook and nobody will know.

Although, I am betting my folks are going to give me the hundred and twenty questions when I get home tomorrow. I let him guide me to his truck and step in once he's opened the door for me. "You sure about this?" He asks. "You don't have to come back to mine." The way he says it really pulls at my heart the longing in his eyes.

"I know. I want to." I reach out my hand and stroke his cheek, his skin is soft and smooth. It's always been that way except more often than not since I've been back he has that sexy scruffle going on.

Logan nods and closes the door, I belt myself in as he makes his way to the driver's side, gets in, clunks himself in too and turns the engine over. "You have any country in this old thing?" He laughs.

"Of course I do. And less of the old thing. I'll have you know that Betsy and I are a thing. She's the love of my life." That makes me chuckle.

"A thing, eh? She's as old as the hills. You need a new truck."

"No way, she was my old man's and she's done me proud over the years. Besides, I didn't hear you complaining when we used to make out in it." Oo, that makes me blush.

"That was a long time ago, Logan. Get a new one, already."

"No way." He fiddles with the old fashioned dash and presses a button, a CD ejects. Before he begins to drive, Logan reaches in for the glove compartment and takes out a stack of cds. "Take your pick, darlin'." And at the sight of some of these old ones, I catch my breath and can feel instant tears pricking at my eyes.

"Have you kept all of our music?" Oh. My. God. He has. Every single album we've written together is here in my hands. "I don't know what to say, Logan." My voice trails off as I shift through them until I find the one I'm looking for.

"Here put this one on." I tell him as I hand it to him whilst I put the others back in the compartment.

"I knew you'd choose that one." He winks at me and my heart melts and I literally pool. He places it in the car stereo, turns the dial for the volume and hits play.

His voice comes out, strong, sexy and the lyrics make me want to cry they're so poignant, so beautiful and so everything we once were.

I'll be standing right here waiting for you darlin'.

I'll never leave this spot, my eyes will always be looking, as I stand here

Waiting for you.

I don't want you to go, but I know you have a dream to follow

You've got my heart, always and forever.

There'll never be another who I'll love quite like I love you, the way your hair falls and that smile on your face.

You are my drug, my addiction, my everything and when you go my darlin' don't you fret, because I'll be standing here waiting for you.....

I remember him singing this to me at The Lazy Duke on the night before I hot footed it to Michigan. I almost didn't leave, I wanted to run up to the stage and straight into his arms and never be let go. My heart broke so much, it was in pieces, shattered to oblivion. As he sang, his eyes never left mine, he was my soulmate, my life, my breath.

Lost in my memories, the touch of his hand on mine as he drives, brings me back to the now. I squeeze his hand and look at his profile. Logan turns his face towards me and winks. Damnit, he gets me every time.

"Don't run away again please, darlin'. I don't think my heart will take it a second time." My breath catches, the lump in my throat is so big, I can't even swallow. How am I going to do this? What am I doing sitting in his truck going to his cabin when I'm going to be leaving again soon?