Chapter 41

Logan

Hector bounces around like a crazy dog as we get ready for our morning run. It's much cooler this morning and fall is now in full force. It won't be long until Thanksgiving and I am looking forward to spending time with my folks and having the big dinner, watching cheesy movies, the whole nine yards.

Pop and I will catch a few hockey games or catch up on the sports in general. He's more a football fan but my love is hockey. I don't bother with a lead for Hector, he knows the trails that surround my cabin.

Opening the door, I feel the crisp morning air but damn if the sunrise isn't something spectacular to look at this morning with the pinkish red coming through the darker sky. There's just something amazing about this time of year. Hector bounds out and wags his tail, he cocks his leg against a tree and then runs in front as I close the door behind me. I don't lock it. Nobody ever comes up this way.

I allow my mind to think of Sage and last night. It felt good to finally talk, not have the hostility or bitterness of our past between us. I feel good, you know like we could get back on track. All I need to do is try to win her over, only this woman is intent on moving away. Again. I shake my head as I run. It's a much slower pace today, I'm not out to break any speed records. Not anymore.

Maybe when I was younger for sure. Having been a cross country runner in school, I loved the miles, the pace and always being the winner. Nowadays, hitting nearly forty I'm more about the fresh air, the scenery and it sure is beautiful here in West Virginia. I'd never want to live anywhere else. Oh, okay maybe Colorado would be stunning too but here is home, my business is here, my family are here and my friends are here. I'm content the only thing that is missing is a woman in my life who I can snuggle up to at night with in bed, keep her safe, protected and love her.

One day for sure, I'd love to have a family a kid of my own. I adore my nephews and nieces they bring so much joy to not just me but our family. My mom sure likes being a grandma and she's damn good at it too. Those kids love her so much and it always makes me smile when I see her with them. Pop loves it too, I can tell. The way he plays with them, takes them on mystery tours in his car and at Christmas he's the best. He bundles them up in their coats, scarves and hats and trundles around Willowbrook with them pretending to look for Father Christmas. When he brings them back to the house, the tree magically has presents underneath it. The kids must know by now that Santa doesn't exist, but they still have lit up faces and huge smiles.

It'll be sad I guess when they grow up some more and it will no longer have the magic about it. But, when I have a kid, I am hoping my old man will still be around and he can do the same for it.

My brother, Jefferson and his wife Angel are really proud parents and damn good parents too. I hope one day I can have what they have.

Hector bounds up to me and jumps up, his hind legs on the ground. I ruffle the fur on the top of his head, right now he has his adorable curls going on. "Hey boy. What's up? I'm coming. Just a bit slow this morning is all." He's happy with that, snuffles my hand and dashes off again scampering in the leaves and sniffing nearly every tree and bush he comes across.

Before long, I've covered two miles and it's time to turn round and make my way back home. I've got to open the practice as Eliza is late in this morning, something about a dentist appointment. Sadie doesn't have a key to open up but I am thinking I ought to really organize one for her.

I reach the large Northern Red oak tree that I use as my marker on my shorter runs, tap it with my left hand then circle round it. Hector runs ahead all the while his tail wagging. He's my best friend and I feel a burst in my heart of the love I feel for this furry friend of mine. I have considered studding him so I could have a couple of pups, conscious that man's best friend is with us only for a limited time. Maybe I will.

We reach the cabin and I place one leg behind me and begin my lunges, I usually do twenty on each side then do some squats, a hundred of them. Hector paws at the door so I stop to open it for him, he dives straight in and heads to his food bowl. Then comes back out.

"Okay, buddy. I'm coming to fill it up." We go back in together, I open his cupboard and fill his bowl with the dry food and give him some fresh water. A frission of excitement passes through my body as I think about seeing Sage in less than an hour's time. I know I said we'd do shifts to avoid each other but at the moment we have too many patients who want morning appointments for me to start passing them all over to Sage. Besides, since we managed to act like actual adults last night, I think this could work out. I hope so. My plan as you know, is to get closer to her and somehow convince her that Willowbrook is where she belongs.

And, she does belong here. Her family and friends are here, everyone loves Sage. I know I have a huge grin on my face and I know she's changed and that just because we were sweethearts back in the day, that I could not be the man she is after now. Only, I did see the way she looks at me and that's got to mean something, right?

Hector wolfs down his food and I take myself to my bedroom and head for the shower, allowing the warm water to stream over my body. Just thinking about Sage makes me hard. I take myself in my hand for relief all the while thinking about her kissable lips, the way her skins radiates, the glint in her eyes when I've caught her checking me out and that body of hers, man what I wouldn't do to feel Sage one more time.