PART ONE Pages 15-17

11:26 A.M., TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 30TH

Is it too drastically dramatic to say my life is spiraling out of control? Because that's exactly how I honestly feel. Day after day, hour upon hour, minute following minute, all that consumes my thoughts is Katara and her dire situation. I'm not even daydreaming about Noah anymore, which is really something in itself. Right now I'm in history class, which is usually a time I look forward to and participate in, but today absolutely nothing can be labelled as "exciting". I have too many important things to ponder upon.

The only other thing I can actually be interested in is Poetry Club;
there's no way I was going to try something new this year, such as chess.
I also like archery, but I haven't even practiced in a while. The truth is, I have not been focusing on myself to a sufficient degree, but guess what? To me, that's okay. The reason I had been a selfish person in the first place was due to the fact that it felt unfair for others to have two parents present from a young age, while I could just count on my mom, as amazing as she is.

"Ms. Vernon! Have you been listening to my lesson like the good scholar you are? You seem to be quite distracted this morning. . ." Mrs. Fitzwell said, somewhat confused as I tumbled out of my deep thoughts.

I had indeed heard something about Jacksonian democracy, but not in its entirety. So, I then confessed,

"Not exactly, but you were saying how Andrew Jackson affected American society in the nineteenth century. . . ?"

"That will be adequate. Yes. So, scholars, in your own words, consider how you would put his presidency. Please, think thoroughly before sharing with the remainder of the class, as our goal is to always lend knowledge, as well as gain, not borrow, from others' understanding." she spoke in acceptance of my answer.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I zoned out again, basically purposefully this time. I did find the topic interesting, as I love putting myself in the shoes of people from the past. But that was before I learned what friendship is, and the true meaning of companionship. It was too difficult to focus entirely on what was going on in class, while other things were taking place outside of school. I knew I had to choose, and for today, at least, I want to honor my friends. Especially Katara.