PART ONE Pages 155-160

SEVERAL HOURS LATER, SAME DATE, AT HOME

As soon as I walked through the front door and stepped into the kitchen where Mom usually is, I took one look at her face and could tell something was up. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I just couldn't read her face at all. Anyway, we talked a little, and then I went up to my room to complete my homework and also to study. I did this for about half an hour, then I got hungry and went downstairs for a small snack. Mom was right there in the living room, watching "Family Matters", her favorite old time show(not that it's really that old).

I knew eventually Mom was going to execute whatever plan she had in that busy brain of hers, and sure enough, a couple minutes passed by, after I had gone back upstairs, and I heard a soft but rapid knock on my door. Yep.

"Marisa, dinner's ready!!"

That old trick? You gotta be kidding me. Nonetheless, in respect to Mom's orders, I went downstairs. That is exactly when she whipped out her master plan, ready to put it into action at any moment.

"So, May Mare. . ."

"Please don't call me that, Mom"

"Wait, but I thought that's what all your friends call you?"

"It's 'Meow Mare', and either way it's embarrassing. . ."

"Oh, okay then. Anyways. . ." She went on.

"Yes?" I said a little impatiently.

"Would you like to go to New Caverns Plaza with me later at 6?"

I paused for a moment to take in what she just said. I had to try and think straight.

"You can do that? Don't you have work or something?" I said, hoping she would say what I wanted her to say.

"Well, I convinced my boss to give me the evening and night off for today, so I'm free to go out for a Mother-Daughter Day. What do you think, Marisa?"

"I think. . . that's amazing!!" I scream in pure joy.

"Will 6 still work for you, Meow Mare? I know you would probably much rather go on a fake date with that friend of yours." She says kind of sadly.

"Mom, I would love to go for a Mother-Daughter Day with you. Don't worry or overthink it."

"Alright, great!! Oh! I almost forgot! I know it's just supposed to be us, but feel free to let any one of your friends tag along. . ."

"Actually, Mom, I think it would be much more memorable and special if we went on our own, just for today. Maybe some other time, though."

I took her hand and smiled deeply, causing slight dimples in my cheeks.

"You look so much like your great-grandmother and namesake, Marisa Georgina Caller." With proud tears in her eyes.

"Now, go get ready!" She urged and whisked me off.

I darted back upstairs, ready to tell Noah that I'd be busy today. I didn't really need to, but I always felt it necessary to, when it came to Noah, so I sent off a brief text. I figured I did not need to worry about what to wear, as Mom was never fussy like that. A few minutes later, Mom and I pulled up to the entrance of New Heights Plaza. I couldn't wait to make some great memories with my mom.

"Here we are, Meow Mare darling."

"Thanks for driving, Mom. I would hate having to walk."

"You're welcome." With a lopsided wink, if that even existed.

Interestingly enough, I thought I saw Noah's chestnut brown, naturally shaggy hair above the other heads around us. It turns out, it was actually him. We later crossed paths in the food court. When I saw he was there too, I asked if he had gotten my message, since he hadn't responded yet. He whipped out his phone and read my message. Then he looked up and grinned.

"I have now."

"That's great," I giggled, all girly-like. Mom shot me a look, and I'm guessing she was warning me to "keep it chill".

In fact, just then she whisked me into the female restrooms.

"Mom. What is it?"

"Nothing, it's just. . . You seem a bit desperate, and you don't want Noah to think that, do you?"

I just stared blankly at her, amazed. My own mother was dishing out love advice, after Dad left her? But I didn't say that. Instead, I shook my head from side to side, indicating a 'no'.

"Good. Now, let's get back out there and show some confidence. Shall we?"

That is exactly what I did, and at the end of the encounter with Noah, he was the only one blushing and behaving lovesick. Mom's advice totally worked.

Yay!!

The rest of the evening went so well, and I'm grateful Mom gave me the advice she did. Even though, truthfully, it seemed Noah liked and quite enjoyed making me squirm under his gaze. He was so hot.

But, let's not talk about that. . .