17. Kneel

The door shuts.

And she was left alone.

She helplessly looked towards the closed door. Her heart drummed in her ears. Her face paled and her hands clammy with nervousness and fear.

"Zahra" he called out her name. She turned around and saw him seated on his chair, pensively looking at twirling the pencil in his fingers. His thick black eyelashes shadowed his well-defined cheekbones as he leaned against the back of his chair. His face was stoic, void of any humane emotion, and depicted as if he was in deep thought. Moments passed but he continued to look at the twirling pencil. And then he slowly and steadily looked upwards. His eyeballs follow the slow movement of his eyelids.

It was then their eyes matched.

Gleaming grey against dull brown!

His strikingly sharp gaze pinned her to the spot. His eyes were intense as always and his grey iris was as usual sparkling like diamonds in the middle of his eyes. His eyes can engage someone just by a single glance. They were like a universal magnet that can attract anything towards them. If one stares directly into his glassy greyish metallic eyes he would be lost in them and continue to focus on them until his trance is broken. So was Zahra, lost in the beauty of his eyes. They were elegant and shining and then she got lost somewhere.

Flashback

"The sky is beautiful." She said staring at the sky with her brightened eyes, which were full of life. The sunlight reflected on her brown eyes.

"And you're beautiful more than the sky itself." Daniyal complimented while staring at her intensely.

"What if I was not beautiful then would you have loved me?" She asked out of nowhere, still gazing at the sky.

He stopped for a moment and pensively thought on her statement.

'Is it just only because she is beautiful?' his mind questioned.

'No' his brain denied.

'Yes,' his subconscious spoke.

They both sat on an isolated bench in a garden, watching the sunset. The sky was glimmering with the mixtures of yellow, orange, and blueish shades. The sharp orangish sunlight was standing alone in that sea of colors. It felt like nature has drawn a bright fire in the sky. The rays encircled the little looking sun making its rounded shape prominent in the middle of the oceans of that fiery sky. The mere scene was so eye captivating and enticing that no one would ever like to look away from that beautiful scene, especially from the sun which stood in the middle of those myriads of colors making the sky more alluring. It was the sun that was engaging her mind to an extent that she forgot her question and his reply which was nothing.

The sun had the power to captivate her mind and so does his grey eyes.

Flashback ends

'Daniyal' she muttered in her mind.

"What are you gawking at?" He asked breaking her trance, already knowing her deep intense stare on him. His voice was playful. Then it fell upon her, she was staring at him like a total fool.

"Uhh... I'm sorry." She replied looking away.

"Come here." He ordered, placing the pencil back on the table and steepling his fingers before leaning his elbows against the desk. His voice back to his dark and dominant tone.

Her heart which calmed for a moment was back again in its abnormal rhythm. The situation slowly sank into her mind again and she realized that she was in big trouble. His eyes have captivated her so much that she forgot everything for a moment.