24| ". . . It Wasn't What It Looked Like."

|Jennie|

I knock on Kai's door at 10:59. I can't risk being late. Can't risk him punishing me by sending those pictures to Jisoo—pictures of me in Taehyung's bed. With Kai. Pictures of a night that has haunted me since it happened.

Kai pulls the door open. He's shirtless, his jeans slung low on his hips. I can't deny he has a beautiful body. He's strong and built from long hours at the gym and a strict bodybuilder's diet.

But Jisoo's hotter so it doesn't matter to me.

I'm in the same black dress I wore to dinner, and he looks me over slowly—so slowly that I want to take a hot shower and scrub away every inch of skin his eyes touch. "You've done such a good job avoiding me the last few years, I didn't think you'd show." He pulls the door wider. "Come on in."

"I'd rather not."

He arches a brow. "I thought we already established that the ball's in my court now. I'm done chasing you, Jennie."

If only that were really true. "Fine, but keep the door open."

His nostrils flare, and his eyes flash with anger. "Have I ever—ever­—forced myself on you?"

I lift my chin. "Door. Open."

"Sure. If you want everyone who passes by to hear what I know, it's your call."

Everyone who passes by. There's no one in the halls right now. Everyone's out celebrating and probably will be for a couple more hours. Even my parents are staying out late to take advantage of the time with all their best friends in one place, and he knows it. That's why he suggested this time to meet.

Ignoring the warning bells blaring in my head, I step into the room. "What do you want?"

"You." He shrugs. As if it's so simple. As if he's asking for a glass of water. "That's all I've ever wanted."

"Too bad. I'm with Jisoo."

He chuckles, shoving his hands into his pockets and nudging those jeans lower. "But you're not. Not really."

My stomach plummets. "What are you talking about?"

He turns into the room, and his message is clear. He has the power, and I'm going to have to follow him inside if I want to know more.

I take a deep breath and walk down the short hall and into the room, leaving the door wide open behind me. I can do this.

He sits on the edge of the bed, propping himself on his arms behind him. "Was this really all for me? Did I commit some terrible offense that made you so desperate to be rid of me that you'd create a fake relationship?"

My muscles lock up. He can't know. "There's nothing fake about me and Jisoo."

"I've been doing a little detective work." He laughs. "Not that it was hard. A town this size, and everyone is dying to talk. And the guys at Jisoo's station? Well, let's just say they shouldn't be trusted with any state secrets." His grin is slow and vicious. "One of two things is happening here, Jennie. Either Jisoo is playing you, or you two are only pretending to be together."

I will the emotion to stay off my face, but I don't know if it works. It's hard not to give away the surge of my stomach to my throat. I screwed this up. Kai knows our lie, and now I can't even think straight. "You don't know what you're talking about."

"I'll be honest—I was fishing a little earlier. I knew about Soojoo and the redheaded firefighter, but neither would talk to me to confirm anything. But then when Sabrina came to my room crying, I knew, I knew you and Jisoo weren't for real. I mean, it seems he has a thing for redheads."