9| "Dream On, Kid"

|Jennie|

Present day . . .

"Okay, mister, how's the pain level this morning?" I ask as I head into my latest admit's room.

Isaiah Goldright turns his sleepy eyes on me and gives me a wide grin. "Better now that I'm looking at you."

Shaking my head, I check his vitals and IV fluids. "I'm sure."

This kid has been charming the pants off the pediatric nurses since he came in through the ER. I know what brought him here—the blood-alcohol level of point-one-two that made him steer his car right down the side of the hill and into a tree at sixty miles per hour. Still, the social worker and ER both gave him lectures already. It's not my place to pile on, even if that means biting my tongue every time I walk in the room.

"Your vitals look good." I step over to my laptop to add details to his chart, but when I turn, I see he has a visitor I didn't notice before. "Oh. Hi."

"Good morning," Jisoo says. I haven't seen her since I left Kim Brews last night, after she agreed to be my fake girlfriend for my sister's wedding. It was harder to leave than I want to admit. I was worried that the second I left, Soojoo would be all over her, but if we're going to do this, I have to trust her.

"What are you doing here?" I ask softly, looking back and forth between her and my patient.

"Just checking in on Isaiah and making sure he's not giving you all too much trouble up here."

This must be the friend she visited yesterday morning. How do they know each other? "He's pretty damn lucky."

"If you can call a guy who had to be cut out of his car 'lucky,'" Isaiah grumbles.

"You are," Jisoo says.

"My football season is over."

Jisoo shrugs. "Now maybe you'll know what I mean when I warn you that actions have consequences."

"I only had a couple of beers."

Jisoo grunts. "Five is not a couple."

"I thought . . ." Isaiah scowls at the ceiling. "I thought I could drive fine."

"You're fucking lucky your car and the tree took the worst of the damage."

"My car is totaled," the teen says.

Jisoo folds her arms. "Would you rather you'd killed off some innocent family? You want a few deaths on your conscience for the rest of your life?"

I shoot Jisoo a look. I understand the need to shake some sense into the kid, but Isaiah's parents are probably going to give him all the come-to-Jesus lectures he could ever want and more.

"I know I fucked up," Isaiah says.

"Language," I say, even though I don't really mean it, not when he spoke softly enough that his voice won't carry outside this room. I feel awkward standing here while they're having this conversation.

Jisoo grunts. "This boy's poor vocabulary is the least of my worries right now."

"Does that mean you're going to quit threatening to wash my mouth out with soap?" Isaiah asks. His words are edged with a sulk even as he fights back the ghost of a smile—as if he wants to be annoyed but, deep down, he likes that Jisoo gives him a hard time.

"Don't count on it." Jisoo pushes out of her chair. "Promise me you'll be nice to the nurses. Jennie here is a good friend of mine."

Isaiah's lips curve into a broad smile. "Oh, yeah? Why haven't you introduced her to me before?" His grin turns cocky, and he slowly looks me over from head to toe with those sleepy brown eyes. "Are you single? Because my girlfriend broke up with me, and you look like the best cure for my loneliness. I could use a little exotic flavor in my life."