16| "I Like Playing With You."

|Jennie|

I have to give Jisoo credit. I'm sure she knows all there is to know about all of the local breweries—and she certainly knows everything there is to know about Kim Brews beer—but as our tour bus took us from one brewery to the next, she acted like this was her ideal way to spend a day off. I know the Kims are picky about beer and think their stuff is the best, but she tasted the samples at each stop like it was all new to her.

We're sitting thigh to thigh at the far end of the bar at Kim Brews, the last stop of the day. After the tense and abrupt end to our conversation in the hotel room this morning, it was a relief to let loose and do something fun together. Now I'm slightly buzzed from the beer samples. My skin is warm and my eyes are heavy, and going back to our room for a nap is starting to sound mighty tempting.

The best part of the day has been spending it next to Jisoo. I kept catching my gaze drifting to her as we toured the breweries. My sister is completely smitten by her. Or maybe she loves the idea of me being with someone she believes makes me happy. She plays the role of my girlfriend effortlessly—walking hand in hand with me and whispering comments into my ear. She's so natural that I'd almost believe she did adore me. I almost want her to.

The worst part of the day has been Kai watching our every move. He wasn't at dinner last night, but I should've known the reprieve would be short-lived. I haven't talked to him since he showed up in Jackson Harbor last year. I don't know if he's tried to call or text. I blocked his number a long time ago, and Kai is perceptive enough that I'm guessing he's figured that out. My friendly Apple Store tech informed me that I can listen to the voicemails he leaves if I go to the Blocked Messages folder. Thanks, but no.

I don't realize that my thoughts have made me frown until Jisoo leans over and brushes my hair behind my ear. "Are you okay?"

I swallow and push away thoughts of Kai—as much as I can when I know he's in the same room, sitting three chairs down from us. "I'm fine. What about you? Are you having an okay time?"

"If this is your family's idea of bonding, I can see why you fit in so well with the Kims," she says.

"I think this was more Nayeon and Liam's idea of fun than Mom's." I lean my head on her shoulder. We're supposed to be a couple, after all, so wouldn't I touch her like this? "But maybe my parents have loosened up a little in recent years."

"They did put us in the same room."

I huff out a laugh. "Mom cornered me at dinner last night and told me she'd given us the other suite to 'appease the bride,' then warned me the struggles of sex diseases and a whole bunch of other crap that doesn't apply to us."

Her eyes are wide—perhaps the slightly horrified look of a woman who's wondering if there's a trip to the emergency room in her future. Maybe there is. "And what did you tell her?"

"I told her that I'm a virgin and I've never so much as kissed anyone, and how exactly are babies made again?"

She laughs, her eyes crinkling at the corners. "You didn't."

"Oh, yes, I did. She didn't think it was funny, sadly."

She shakes her head and grins. I love when she smiles at me like this—as if I'm the most beautiful thing she's ever seen. As if she wants nothing more to get me alone and kiss me in a way that has nothing to do with pretending we're together. Is that wishful thinking? Do I want her to want that?

"Regardless, I'm having a good time. And I'll get bonus points with Seulgi when I can tell her about Howell's new sour," Jisoo says.

I grin. "It's like you're a secret agent."