06- Just Friends

I tried not to acknowledge what Jordyn said, and especially how she said it.

"Um, anyways... How long have you two known each other?" I asked the two of them.

Jordyn looked at Milo as she answered, "I have known Miles for about a year now." She glanced back at me as she said the nickname she had for him. Then she looked back at him. "We're around each other all the time."

"Oh." That was all I had to say. I glanced back at Stella and Lexie, who were both watching me as they held hands, waiting to see how the conversation would unfold. 

Milo looked at me and added, "Yeah, I guess we are around each other a lot." Then he focused back on her and grinned at her.

"Are you two a thing?" I finally decided to ask the question.

Jordyn shot a look at me that practically screamed: "We almost are." 

As she threw me the look, Milo actually answered my question. "No, we aren't. We're just friends." 

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Lexie glance at Stella, as if to say: "Just friends. Sure..."

Jordyn then spoke up again. "What about you, Madelyn? Do you have a boyfriend?" It was like she was trying to rub it in that I didn't know Milo as well as she did.

"No, actually, she just got out of a relationship with that Evan Lennon guy. I wouldn't try and bring that up." Lexie answered for me. I heard Stella's leg gently kick Lexie's under the table, trying to get her to stop talking.

"Evan Lennon, huh?" She asked. "So you're the girl he decided to kick to the curb?"

"Jordyn." Milo tried to stop her.

"What? It's true." 

"Stop it." He talked at a volume only she could hear.

And she did. She sighed and looked down.

Milo turned to look at me and mouthed, "Sorry."

I waved my hand as if to tell him that everything was fine. It wasn't, though. I didn't like the way she worded the last part of her comment. "The girl he decided to kick to the curb?" 

I didn't want to say anything else, so thankfully Stella noticed and took the wheel.

"Well, it was good seeing you guys. Enjoy your dinner." She smiled at them and Milo waved as him and Jordyn walked off.

After they were out of earshot, I said a quick thanks to Stella.

"It's nothing. You didn't seem comfortable."

"It was obvious." Lexie said. "And that Jordyn chick was a bitch." 

That got a laugh out of Stella and I. "She kind of was." I said.

We didn't talk about the interaction anymore after that. We just celebrated Stella and her success. 

After dinner

I got into the car and scrolled on my phone as we drove. At the top of my phone, I saw a text message.

It was from Milo. The director highly suggested we trade phone numbers, so that we "could talk about scenes together." I opened the message.

milo  -  Milo
maddie - Madelyn

milo

Sorry about what happened tonight.
9:01 P.M.

maddie

it's fine.
9:01 P.M.

milo

it isn't, jordyn was being really insensitive. 
9:02 P.M.

maddie

at least you tried to stop her from
continuing to talk about evan.
9:02 P.M.

milo

yeah, she shouldn't have said that to your face.
9:02 P.M.

maddie

she shouldn't have said that at all.
9:03 P.M.

milo

true.
you gonna be okay?
9:03 P.M.

maddie

yeah, i'll be fine.
9:04 P.M.

milo

okay. i'll see you tomorrow. 
9:05 P.M.

maddie

see you then.
 Read 9:05 P.M.

I put my phone away and I looked out the window for the rest of the ride, thinking about what tomorrow could possibly bring.