𝟓. 𝐒𝐨𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐚 𝐈𝐬 𝐇𝐮𝐫𝐭

ابدأ من البداية

“Sohana! Sohana!” I heard Kabir calling me. Quickly, I wiped my tears and stood up, turning to face him as he approached.

“Sohana, are you okay?” he asked, his voice full of concern.

“Yes, I’m fine,” I lied. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“You don’t look fine. Your eyes are red and puffy. Were you crying?” he asked, searching my face.

“No, Kabir. Something just got in my eyes, that’s all,” I mumbled, avoiding his gaze.

He didn’t seem convinced but let it go. “Look, I know Ruhaan was out of line. He was incredibly rude, especially to you—his doctor, who’s only trying to help him. But there’s a reason for his behavior.”

“A reason?” I echoed, my curiosity piqued.

“Yeah, but I can’t share it. Ruhaan doesn’t like people talking about his personal life behind his back,” he said, and I nodded. At least Kabir was loyal to his friend—that was one good thing about him. The other was what Ruhaan’s secretary had mentioned earlier.

“Ruhaan used to be amazing. I mean, really amazing. But something happened that changed him—turned him cold. He believes all doctors will eventually give up on him because of his attitude. But, Sohana, please don’t give up on him. We need the old Ruhaan back—the happy, funny, cheerful guy we all miss. I need my best friend back,” he pleaded.

“I won’t give up on him, Kabir,” I promised. “I’ll do whatever it takes to help him recover.” I silently vowed, I promise, Mom.

“Thank you,” he said, visibly relieved.

I gave him a small smile and turned to leave when he called out, “Wait!”

I glanced back at him, raising an eyebrow.

“Actually, I came to deliver a message from Ruhaan—a ‘sorry,’” Kabir said, his voice softer now.

A flicker of happiness sparked inside me, but I quickly smothered it. Sure, Ruhaan didn’t say it himself, but it was something. Not that I expected him to march over and apologize. Ruhaan Raichand wasn’t exactly the type to humble himself like that.

“It’s okay,” I replied with a shrug. “But next time he behaves like a jerk, he’s going to have to apologize in person, or I won’t forgive him.”

Kabir chuckled, “Forget forgiveness! If he pulls that again, just slap him. Don’t worry—I’ll back you up. We’re friends now, right?”

I laughed, feeling a little lighter. “Deal. Bye, Kabir.”

“Bye, Sohana,” he said with a grin.

🧿

I was sitting in a café, waiting for Alisha to arrive. She had called me right when I was about to head home after meeting Kabir.

"Sohanaaa!" I heard her voice from behind. I turned and saw her rushing towards me, her eyes red and puffy, framed by dark circles. Had she been crying?

"What happened? Why did you call me? And why do you look so restless?" I bombarded her with questions the moment she reached me.