CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: A FUNERAL AND A PAGEANT PART ONE

Start from the beginning

────ღ 🦇 ღೋ────

As they walk in they hear someone shout "stop it" and the sounds of grunts as if people are fighting. Who would dare make a scene at a funeral? Aurelia and Theo push through the crowd to spot Tyler beating Matt to a pulp. Oh the brother and the hookup. What is this a telenovela?

Theo has to stop himself from cheering Tyler on, not wanting to sleep on the couch for the night. Truthfully, he doesn't care what the situation was. He's just glad the evening wasn't as boring as he thought it would be. He may have refrained himself from cheering but he couldn't help but smirk in amusement at the scene, even as Aurelia looks on at the scene appalled. Finally Alaric breaks up the fight, pulling Tyler away from Matt and asking him what that was. The Mayor, Tyler's dad then walks into the scene.

"Uh oh. Busted." Theo murmurs. Tyler spares him a glance, hearing the demon's remark. Theo winks at him when he spots Tyler looking at him.

"I'll take it from here." The mayor tells Alaric. He gives Aurelia and Theo a look signaling to them that they are also dismissed. Theo just smirks and waves his fingers tauntingly at the mayor as Aurelia pulls him out of the room with her.

────ღ 🦇 ღೋ────

"Thank you all. Thank you very much. Thank you." Mayor Lockwood says. "Thank you all for joining us tonight. In just a few moments, we will officially begin the countdown to our upcoming founder's day celebration and it's a very special one this year. The 150th birthday of our town." Everyone applauds. Theo and Aurelia make their way over to Alaric.

"Something is about to happen... I can feel it." Theo remarks to Alaric.

"What do you mean?" Alaric asks, now on guard for something to happen.

"I don't know. Sometimes, I just say stuff." Theo shrugs and Aurelia giggles. Alaric relaxes and glances at him amused,

"John Gilbert, will you please join me up here?" Mayor Lockwood says. Theo's head snaps in that direction. Aurelia's jaw is dropped.

"What?" Alaric asks them, confused by their reaction.

"I did not see that coming." Theo remarks. "And that's saying something because I usually know everything supernatural that goes on in this town."

"That's because usually there's nothing supernatural going on in this town." Aurelia retorts.

"Is that your way of saying I know nothing?" Theo asks her, raising one eyebrow.

"Oh would you look at that? You do know something." Aurelia teases him.

"Look at his right hand." Damon tells Alaric and Theo, interrupting the couples bickering.

"Whose?" Alaric asks.

"Don't be stupid." Theo rolls his eyes. "He's talking about the town's newly returned golden boy."

"He's right. I'm talking about the town's favorite son." Damon says. "Look at his ring." John rings the bell.

"Well, it looks like mine." Alaric says.

"Yeah, and that'd be a big coincidence if he didn't just come back from the dead," Damon tells them. "Five minutes ago," he emphasizes. "Where the hell did you get that ring?"

"Isobel, my wife." Alaric answers. Damon chuckles.

"Who, if I may add, gave birth to Elena." Theo says.

"If you ask me, it's starting to look like most of your problems start and end with that doppelganger." Aurelia remarks.

"Katherine?" Damon asks.