91

Mads POV

I watched as Joey just stared ahead at the fire. She hasn't been the same since the hospital, since Beth. It was understandable, but she was shutting everyone out. Shutting me out. Something other than just Beth dying happened at that hospital, I could tell. She was bruised, beaten, her arm was broken and casted over. Beth's death added to that wasn't easy. It wasn't easy for anyone. Beth didn't deserve what happened to her, she deserved better.  "You need to eat, Joesphine." I tell her and she ignores me. "Joesphine-" I try again, but she gets up and heads into the woods. I go to get up, but Daryl stops me, "I'll talk to her." I nod thanking him as he heads off after Joey.

Joey POV

I heard steps behind me, "Leave me alone, mom." "I ain't your mom." Daryl said from behind me. I turned around, "I'm sorry. I just needed some air." He nods, "I get it." We sat in silence for a minute before Daryl broke it, "Your mom's just trying to be there for you." I sigh, "I know. I just want to be left alone." Daryl nods, "I get it. That's how I am. But you're lucky your mom cares so much for you. All the shit she's been through to get you back." There was an another moment of silence before Daryl broke it, "You gonna talk to me? Tell me what happened in that hospital?" I looked at him, "Beth died." He nods, "I know that. What happened before that? The bruises? A broken arm? Those are too fresh to be from the car crash." I sigh looking to Daryl, "I don't want you to judge or hate." Daryl shook his head, "There ain't nothing you could ever say to make me judge or hate you, Jo." I nod, "There was this girl, Cassie. We grew close, I liked her...Like liked her. She was killed by one of the officers there, pushed down the elevator shaft. That officer would rape the women there, her included, and they'd laugh about it. Like it was all just fun and games. They essentially beat me to hold my silence, they said it was for going against the rules, but I knew better. It was so they could scare me. After that I clung to Beth, she was all I had. Dawn got into it with one of the officers causing them to get into a fight, I pushed him off the elevator shaft killing him. Dawn used us as pawns to take care of the dirty work." Daryl nodded, "Did you tell your mom that?" I shook my head, "I don't want to make her worried." Daryl shrugged, "She's your mom. She's always going to worry about you." There was silence between us. "You know the scissors Beth stabbed Dawn with? I told her to take them and hide in our room for just in case. When we were going to do the trade, I was going to take the scissors. I was going to be the one to stab Dawn or anyone if things went bad. Beth stopped me, said she had to look out for me. That we were going to get out together..." I stopped for a moment as I felt the tears flood out. "I am the reason Beth is dead. I shouldn't have had her take the scissors, or maybe I should've been the one to take them. Either way it should've been me and not her. We were supposed to escape together, Daryl." Daryl moves over to sit next to me, forcing me to look at him, "None of that was your fault, Jo. Beth wanted to protect you, and she did." Daryl and I sat together for a while before heading back to the group. 

Mads POV

"It was secure. It has a wall, homes, 20 people. Beth wanted to go with him. She wanted to get him there. It's a long trip, but if it works out, it's the last long trip we have to make." Rick tells us. "And what if it isn't around anymore?" Glenn asks. Rick sighs, "Then we keep going." "We find a new place." Michonne adds. I look to my children, they need for this place to be good. Daryl walks over to me, "She'll be okay. She's going through it, but she's strong." I place a hand on his arm, "Thank you, really. I don't think I've ever properly said thank you for all the things you've done for my girl." Daryl shakes his head, "Nah-" I cut him off, "I mean it. You've done more for my girl then her daddy did in his whole life, even before all this shit went down. I just wish she would talk to me." He nods, "She will." I smile before walking over to Rick. He looks over to me, "What are you thinking?" I look to Joey, "She's gonna be okay." He nods, "We're all going through it. Beth was family." I sigh, "We need this place Rick. Our kids need this place." He nods, "I know. I just hope it's still there." I rub his back, "It will be."