73

Rick POV

I looked up to the sky as I walked on the tracks, "I think we got about a day's worth of water left. We're lucky it's cooled off a little bit, but..." I looked back to notice Carl and Michonne were far behind me, "What are you doing?" They were balancing on the sides of the track. "Winning a bet." Carl smiles and Michonne shakes her head, "In your dreams." Carl scoffs, "I'm still on." I smile as I see Carl try to cheat by swiping at Michonne, before he starts to teeter. Michonne laughs, "You spoke too soon, wise guy." I walked up to them, "This might go on a while. Maybe we can speed this up." Michonne nods, "Yeah, you're right. Shouldn't be fooling around. We should probably-" She cuts herself off as she waves her arm to Carl, "Carl!" Causing herself to fall off. Carl sticks his hand out, "I win. Pay up." Michonne sighs as she goes to her backpack causing me to laugh. She pulls out two candy bars. Carl looks at them, "Is that really the last Big Cat?" He reaches for it and Michonne sighs, "Oh, come on." Carl smiles, "Hey, but you said winner's choice." Michonne hands it to him throwing the other into the bag, "Go ahead, take it. It's yours. You won it fair and square." Carl splits the bar in half and motions it to Michonne, "Come on, you, Joey, and I always shared." My mind quickly goes to the little brunette that was a splitting image of her mother. I hope her and Madison got out together, I know her and Madison made it out together. She smiles, "Fork it over." I smiled at the two before we all started walking the tracks again.

Daryl POV

I couldn't stop thinking about what happened with Beth and Joey. It kept me up all night. I said there as the other guy's slept, twiddling Joey's 22 necklace in between my fingers. I kept thinking about all the little things, like if I ever found Mads again how upset she'd be or if I found Maggie. Or if the girls were dead. Of course they weren't dead, why would they "save" them to kill them. Then again that's just the world we live in. I looked down at the slight blood on the necklace and remembering the blood that was on the ground near their stuff. She's alive, they both are. They have to be. I noticed the sun was about to come up, which meant another night no sleep. I placed the necklace around my neck before I grabbed my bow and went out to hunt.

I had my eye on a rabbit, and I pulled my crossbow out and shot it. As my arrow went in another did too. I look back to see Len, "What the hell are you doing?" He shrugged, "Catching me some breakfast." I rolled my eyes as I walked to the rabbit, "That's mine." He shakes his head, "My arrow's the one that hit first. Cottontail belongs to me." I lean down to the rabbit and pull out the arrows, "Been out here since before the sun came up." Len scoffs, "You see, the rules of the hunt don't mean jack out here. Now, that  rabbit you're holding is claimed, boy." I rolled my eyes and took his arrow and tossed it into the woods. He looked over to the arrow then back at me, "Claimed whether you like it or  not. So I was you, I'd hand it over. Now before you get to wishing you  ain't never even got out of bed this morning." I walked over to him glaring at him, "It ain't yours." He sighed, "You know, I'll bet these bitches got you all messed up, hmm?" I walked past him, ignoring him. He wasn't worth it. He turns towards me, "Am I right?  Got you walking around here like a dead man who just lost himself a  piece of tail. Must have been a good'un." I stopped walking feeling the anger build up within me. "Tell me something. Were they one  of the little'uns?" He asked pausing. I was so angry, I slowly reached down for my knife, I was going to kill this dumbass for how he spoke about my girls. "'Cause they don't last too long out here." He chuckled. I pulled my knife out turning to him, but an arm on my wrist stopped me, "Easy, fellas, easy. Let's just put our weapon down. See if we can't figure out what's really the problem here, huh?" He lets go of me and looks to Len, "Did you claim it?" Len nods proudly, throwing his bow over his shoulder, "Hell, yeah." He waves to Len, "Well, there you go. That critter belongs to Len." What the fuck? This guy is lucky he isn't dead right now. Len waves to me arrogantly, "So let's have it." I look back to Joe and he nods, "Looks like you may be wanting an explanation. See, going it alone, that  ain't an option nowadays. Still, it is survival of the fittest. That's a  paradox right there. So I laid out some rules of the road to keep  things from going Darwin every couple hours. Keep our merry band  together and stress-free. All you got to do is claim. That's how you  mark your territory, your prey, your bed at night. One word, claimed." I glared at Len, "I ain't claiming nothing." Len looks angrily to Joe, "We're gonna teach him, right? The rules say we got to teach him." Joe holds a hand out to Len then looks at me, "It wouldn't be fair to punish you for violating a rule you never even knew existed." Len scoffs running a hand through his hair moving to stand in front of me. I scoff, "There ain't no rules no more." I keep my stare with Len, not letting up. Joe shakes his head, "Oh, there are. You know that. That's why I didn't kill you for the crossbow." Joe grabs my rabbit and I go to react, but he holds his hand out, "Hey. Easy there, partner." I watch as Joe takes the rabbit to the tree and chops it in half throwing part to Len. He sighs, "Claimed. That's all you got to say." He notices my silence and shrugs, "Hey, ass end is still an end."