86

I sat in the room Beth and I shared after seeing Dr. Edwards and him placing a cast on my arm. Beth walks in and looks to me in shock, "Joey! What the hell happened?" Last time I had saw Beth, I didn't have a broken arm and I wasn't covered in bruises. "Cassie's dead. Gorman killed her." I spoke softly. Beth sits down next to me, "Oh my God. Are you okay? I know you were getting to be close friends." My mind goes back to moments before Gorman had walked in, to the kiss. We were more than friends, at least I think we would have if Gorman hadn't killed her. It made me feel confused, I had never felt that way about anyone before, let alone a girl. I nod, "I'll be alright." Beth stands up, "Come on. We're going to go see with Noah about getting out of here, we can't stay here anymore."

I follow Beth into the greenhouse where Noah was working. He was bruised up just like me, Beth was telling me how he took the blame for Beth accidentally killing a man. "It's not as bad as it looks." He tells us as Beth reaches up to touch his face. "I'm fine. Besides it looks like Joey got the brunt of it." He says looking to me and I nod. "Dawn needed Trevitt for something. I know that's what it was about. Screwed up thing is, she's trapped too." Beth shakes her head, "We're not trapped. We're going with you." Noah looks between us, "Are you sure?" I nod, "After what that fucker did to Cassie, I'm not staying here." Noah's face fell, "What happened to Cassie?" I look away, "Gorman killed her. Pushed her down the elevator shaft." Noah nods, "Basement's the fastest way out. Any noise and we got rotters." Beth nods, "So we won't make noise." Noah nods looking to me and then to Beth, "Joey and I can keep an eye on Dawn. She keeps a spare key to the elevator banks somewhere in her office." I nod, "It's in the drawer of her desk. Cassie took it a few times." Noah nods looking to Beth, "Think you can grab it?" Beth nods, "Yeah." Noah looks to me, "We need about 30 minutes, can you do that?" I nod, "Yeah I can." He nods, "Okay when I nod, that's your cue."

Noah was helping Dawn and Gorman carry some things into a room. Noah looks up to Beth and I and nods giving us the cue. Beth walks down the hall as I head to Dawn, "Dawn, can I speak to you for a moment?" She nods following me into my room. Dawn sighed, "I was wondering when you would come and find me." I looked over to her, "He killed her." Dawn rubbed her face, "You really think I didn't know?" I shook my head, "No, I knew that you knew. But you let him get away with it. Why?" Dawn scoffs, "I didn't want to, I had to! Every sacrifice we make needs to be for the greater good. This place, keeping it running smoothly, is the greater good." I shrug, "So that includes a murderer and rapist? I know what he did to Joan, to Cassie." Dawn steps up to me pointing in my face, "You don't know what it takes to run this place. To keep everyone alive." I step back, "You're full of shit if you think this place is going to last running it like that. It's only a matter of time until you can't keep turning the other way. Acting like shit isn't happening." Dawn gives me a look, "What would you do, kill him? That makes you just as bad as him, doesn't it?" I shake my head, "No, a lot more people would feel safer with him in the ground. It doesn't take a genius to see that." Dawn sighs, "This hasn't been easy. There have been compromises, but it's working." I scoff, "Joan was right, you're a coward. You let them walk all over you to so call keep this place running smoothly. A real leader would step up, not let things happen to their people. Make their people feel safe. Not make their people feel like they're trapped here." Before Dawn can say anything else Beth walks into the room, "Oh Dawn, Joan was looking for you. I saw her and Gorman headed towards your office." Dawn nods, "Thank you Beth." Dawn looks back to me, "We will talk more on this later." I nod before she walks out of the room. "Did you get it?" I ask Beth and she nods running over to grab her stuff, "Yes, and we need to leave now. We have a small window. Gorman found me when I was in there. He killed Joan, and I let her kill him when she turned. Dawn's headed there now, it's only a matter of time until she finds them." I nod grabbing my stuff and followed Beth out of the room, where her, Noah, and I headed to the elevator shaft.

Once we reached the elevator we heard screaming, this was the time as they were now distracted. I walked over to the edge and looked over the side. "Ready?" Noah asked and we nodded. "Joey head down first as you're the smallest. Once you're safe, we'll climb down" I nod as he ties the blankets around my waist. I sit on the edge for a moment before sliding off the side. I drop a little before the sheet catches me. "Joey, you okay?" Beth asks me and I nod as they begin lowering me down. I look down with my flashlight before I drop quite a bit dropping the flashlight before Noah and Beth stabilize me. I make my way to the landing untying myself before Noah and Beth pull the sheets up as Beth is lowered down just as I was. I stick a hand out to Beth helping her lower herself onto the platform with me. Noah drops the rest of the blanket down before lowering himself down. A walker grabs Noah from the second elevator opening and Noah struggles against him before letting go of the sheet falling into the pit below us. "Noah?" Beth asks him before the both of us jump down into the pit with him. We quickly get up and I see a walker reaching up to us from the ground. It was Cassie. I feel tears weld up in my eye before I quickly stomp her head in a few times. Beth grabs me pulling me towards her. "Can you walk?" Beth asks Noah. He nods, "Yeah. I'm okay. Are you okay, Joey?" I nod avoiding his gaze, "I'm fine. Let's just get out of here." Beth and I pull out our guns as Noah steps ahead of us pointing to the exit. A walker grabs Noah and I quickly shoot the walker, "Run!" Beth and I shoot any walkers that come near us before we get to the door outside. We see the gate and start to run for it, instantly Beth and I see a herd of walkers by the gate. Beth and I start firing as I nod to Noah to run ahead. Soon enough the walkers become too much and as Beth and I struggle to fight them, gunshots ring out, killing the nearby walkers. I turn back to see officers shooting, I quickly shoot two of them before a cop comes up behind me grabbing me. I thrash around, trying to get him off of me before I'm roughly thrown to the ground. I look up to the fence to see Noah looking back to Beth and I who got caught. "GO!" I scream and I watch him nod as he got away. At least one of us got away.

Beth and I stood in Dawn's office with Joan and Gorman's dead bodies on the ground. "Who the hell do you two think you are?" Dawn asked us angerly. Beth glared at her, "He attacked me. Just like he attacked Joan. Just like he attacked Cassie." I look at her, "Just like you let him. You know what's happening here and you let it happen. You're letting it happen!" Dawn scoffs, "So that we make it." Beth glared at her angerly, "No one's coming, Dawn." I nod, " She's right, no one's coming. We're all gonna die and you let this happen for nothing." It was silent for a moment until Dawn hit Beth over the head with her gun. She goes to hit me, but I back up grabbing her pushing her into the filing cabinet. She comes towards me pushing me and I trip over Gorman's body hitting my head hard on the desk.

I was left with a gash on my forehead as was Beth. We sat on Dr. Edward's chairs in his office as he looked over our gashes and my bruising from prior. "You're both healing quickly. Should be ready to jump back into it in a couple more days." As Dr. Edwards went to walk out Beth stopped him, "How'd you know Trevitt was a doctor? That's why you had me give him the wrong meds, right? Why you had me kill him." I nod getting the whole picture, "Cause if he had lived, there'd be another doctor and Dawn wouldn't need you. She wouldn't protect you." Without looking back at us he spoke, "Trevitt was an oncologist at St. Ignatius. I knew him." He turned back to us, "They would have kicked me out. Maybe Gorman... maybe he would have killed me. I didn't have a choice." Beth nodded, "Use everything you can use." Dr. Edwards looked to his painting, "When they arrested Christ, Peter denied being one of his disciples. He didn't have a choice. They would have crucified him, too." Beth looked to the scissors then back at me as I nod, "Take them. We're getting the hell out of here." We walk out of his office as we head to our room we see them bring in a women. As they get closer we see that the women is Carol, our Carol. We look to each other in shock.

A/N:

We are back! Happy New Year! If you are just starting where you left off before the changes there wasn't very huge changes that'll change the story, just small little things here and there! But Joey is alive ! Will she be able to get back to her mom ?