41

Madison POV

"Earth to Rick? Who is this guy?" I ask him and he ignores me. Rick slowly stands, "This man saved my life." With that Rick walks over to where our mystery man appeared from, Michonne and I follow. I wondered how this man saved his life, he couldn't have been from around here since it was such a small little town. Everyone knew everybody, and everybody's business. You were having issues in your marriage? The whole town already knew it. I remember thinking back to before this whole place begging Shane to move away, to a place where nobody knew us. Rick's voice shakes me from my thoughts, "Keep an eye out for booby traps. Looks like he's gotten pretty creative so far." I nod and Michonne gives him a look, "I thought we were just gonna get in and get the hell out of here." Rick turns back to us, "I'm not just leaving him on the street." Michonne was right, this man shot at us. I know leaving him sounds wrong, but if Carl hadn't shot him he would've killed Rick. I sigh, "Look, I know you said he helped you-" Rick cuts me off harshly, "He saved my life. He wasn't like this then." I nodded softly, holding back some tears, "Okay." Rick had never in our entire lives been this rude to me, and it's sad to think it all stems from us not being ready for each other. Rick scoffs at me, "Jesus, he has a son." Michonne looks past him, "You think he's in there?" Rick looks back at her before looking towards the entrance. He starts to walk towards it, but Michonne pulls him back, "Don't. You said booby traps." She then points to the Welcome mat, which was indeed very strange compared to his behavior. Rick kneels down and slowly lifts up the mat to reveal a hole dug underneath with spikes and knives sticking up. Rick sighs, "Thank you." I look at Rick before looking back at the man, "Let's just get him inside and go."

Michonne and Rick each take a side of the man as I walk ahead of them, ensuring there wasn't any more booby traps. We enter the building and start to head up the stairs to where the man was staying. I slowly start to climb up the stairs when Rick pulls me back, "Whoa." I look down to see my foot almost triggering a tripwire. I slowly bring my foot back before I step over the wire. "Carl watch the wire." I yell back to him and he nods. I look up to the tarp that covered the entrance and pushed it back, I almost yelped as I saw I was almost eye to eye with an axe. I looked to the side of the axe that read told you. This man was actually fucking crazy, and we're saving him? I walk into a room to try and find somewhere to lay him down and I look around the room, it was filled with guns. Michonne and Rick came in behind me, just as shocked as me, "I showed him that weapons locker last year." Michonne looked at him confused, "And it had all of this in it?" Rick shook his head, "No, not even half. He's been busy." I looked away from the guns to see a small cot in the corner, "The cot. There." Rick and Michonne lead the man over there before laying him down. Carl, Michonne, and I found bags and started to fill them with guns and ammo. Rick's voice interrupted us, "No. We're gonna wait for him to wake up. Make sure he's okay." My eyes widen, "Rick, he tried to kill us!" Rick sighed, "He told us to go. He didn't know who we were." Michonne scoffs, "He tried to kill us and we didn't leave him for the walkers. He's had a good day." I nod in agreement, "He doesn't need half of these guns, we do." Rick looks back to the cot, "We're waiting for him to wake up. That's it." I feel my blood begin to boil, "Rick have you looked around?!? The axe, the spikes, the walls." Rick rolls his eyes, "You both think he's crazy?" I say yes as Michonne says no, and I look at her to explain, "I think he's dangerous." She was right, he was dangerous. With how quick he was and how trained he seemed to be, we could have a rude awakening when he wakes up seeing that we're stealing from him. Rick sighs, "I know him. He wasn't like this then. We're gonna wait for him to wake up."

We looked around to see what all this Morgan guy had found. It was quite the load for one person to find. I look over to see Carl looking at a map of our county, I look onto our street to see a house labeled Rick's house and a square next to it, which was our house then it crossed out stating it had been burned down. "What do you see?" Rick asks his son. "Our neighborhood. It's gone." Carl says softly and I pull him into a side hug. "Is that why you wanted to come? To see the house?" Rick asks him and Carl shakes his head, "I-I just wanted to come." I knew it was for sure the reason, because it was why Joey wanted to come and I said no. I didn't want seeing the house and if there was any remaining stuff of Shane's to cause her to breakdown. She loved her dad, and losing him broke her heart, but we had to get over it quickly because the world we live in now. Seeing it again would cloud her judgement, and that would kill her. "We're eating his food now?" I hear to look back and see Michonne eating some chips, she shrugged, "The mat said welcome." I laugh as I give Carl one last squeeze before walking over to Rick. I look over to the cot, "You truly think this will be a good idea, Rick?" He sighs before looking up to me, "Madison, you really want to keep this going?" I look back to Rick, "Rick, we see what he's capable of. Michonne's right, he's dangerous. You saw how he was outside, how do you think he'll react when he wakes up and finds out we're taking over half of his guns?" Rick stands up and turns to me, "Why do you have do disagree with everything I say, you're just like Lori." Instant regret filled Rick's face and he went to grab my arm, but I shoved him off. If we were even attempting a relationship, comparing me to your wife, who I felt like I killed, is not okay. "I'm going on a run." Carl announced. Rick looked at him confused, "Where?" Carl sighs, "I thought maybe the one thing people didn't loot was cribs and there's that baby place that Mom and Mads's friend Sara ran. It's just around the corner." Sara, I hadn't thought about her in a long time. I had bought all of Joey's baby stuff in there as did Lori with Carl. We were in there so much we all became friends. She's more than likely gone just like majority of the people we knew, she was too sweet for this wicked world. "Carl-" Rick warned, but Carl cut him off, "Dad, it's just around the corner. And there's all those walker traps." There was no way Rick would let him go alone. "You're going to need help carrying the box." Michonne announced from behind us. "What?" Carl questioned her. "If you're gonna get a crib, you have to get the box. It's big and heavy. You're gonna need help carrying the box. You are getting a crib, right?" Michonne asked him. Carl huffed, "That's what I said." I gave Carl a glare, "Stop, you're being rude. But she's right, I can go with him." Carl smiles slightly as if it was him approving me going with him. Rick stands up, "No Michonne will go with him. That's the deal." I roll my eyes, what was the difference between who went? Carl nods in annoyance agreeing to Rick's deal. "You get into trouble, you holler, okay? We'll hear it from here." Rick told them before they left.

I walk over to him, "What the hell was that Rick?" Rick sighs pinching the bridge of his nose, "What was what Madison?" I scoff, "I could've easily went with Carl. Hell, I even volunteered." Rick shrugged, "Michonne could help him better, besides I need you here." My face turns very angry, "What are you saying? That I can't protect him the way she could? Lori left me to watch over him and-" Rick cuts me off, "You're not his mother, stop acting like it." As Rick spoke the words, it felt like they had stabbed further and further into my chest. A tear fell from my eye, "What the hell happened to you?" Rick rolled his eyes, "What do you mean?" I almost laugh, "What do I mean? The way you've been acting all day long! You just looked at me and told me to stop acting like his mother. You've been consistently shitty with me all day long, and for what? Is this because I said we're not ready?" Rick's face hardens as if I struck a nerve. "That's exactly what this is about! Seriously Rick? Are we back in high school now? Carl's acting older than you right now." He steps towards me and I flinch, his face softens. "Did you think I was going to hurt you?" He ask softly. I shrugged, "I don't know what anyone's capable of in this world anymore."

Rick walked over to the cot and sat on a box. I had walked out of the room and down the stairs, I needed some air. I walked over to one of the traps and kill one of the walkers that were trapped. I look over to check for Carl and Michonne when I hear yelling, I quickly run back into the building avoiding all the booby traps. I pull out my gun and enter the room to see Morgan trying to stab Rick in the shoulder. I pull my gun, but Rick reaches a hand out to me, "Madison, no!" As Rick moves his hand Morgan stabs him in the shoulder. I quickly run over and kick Morgan so hard he falls off of Rick. Rick holds his shoulder as Morgan crawls away, backing himself into a wall. I go over to him and point my gun at his head. "Please." He breathes out heavily and I give him a confused look. He quickly grabs my hand holding my gun and pulls the gun down closer to his head. "Please kill me." He begs. I pull my hand free falling to the ground as I looked up to Morgan. He started to softly sob, and that's when I realized, Morgan wasn't as crazy as he was broken.

A/N:

Ooooh another chapter! I'm sensing some tension between Rick and Mads!

Thank you all so much for 17K reads!!! I love you all!!!!