Chapter thirty-eight

Rolus looked at the person who entered. He growled when he saw Council Robert. He was with a guard, who was beside him.

"Robert! Untie him now!" Rolus ordered.

Robert had the nerve to laugh. The more Luke lost blood, the more closer to death he was.

"Robert, please let him go. Torture me, not him. Please let him go," he pleaded, sobbing.

Robert stepped further into the room. He had a paper with him. "Didn't I tell you that defying me will lead to this? You were so close, Alpha Rolus. So close to fulfilling the agreement. Imagine my surprise when you left your mate to run to this disgrace!"

Rolus tried to move to the wall so that he could sit up. The more he moved, the more hazy everything got.

"You thought having Magdeline on your side will let me dissolve the punishment? Where's that bitch now?" Robert bellowed.

"I'll reject him. I swear! Just let him go," he pleaded, keeping an eye on his mate from the corner of his eye. Luke was bleeding bad.

Robert scoffed. His strides were angry when he rushed to Rolus. He ripped the ruined shirt from Rolus, leaving him topless. He slapped his hand on Rolus' shoulder where his mark was. "You think I'm stupid?"

Rolus begged for his mate to be let go. Luke did not deserve this. "It was all me. I forced him to mark, I swear!"

Robert sank his claws into Rolus' shoulder, eliciting a groan out of Rolus. "I will torture you, Rolus Ashlane. I will kill your mate slowly, with you watching. You will wish you had followed my instructions." He clawed Rolus shoulder, and trailed them down to his arm. Rolus immediately bled.

Robert didn't waste time in the room. He left, and after, that guard of his came back with a bucket of water. He splashed Luke with it. Luke did not wake up.

The guard threw the remaining water at Rolus. Some got into his mouth, so he spat it out.

When the guard left, and Rolus heard the key lock, he slumped down on the floor, coughing. He stared up at Luke, willing him to wake up.

Rolus dozed off, still staring at his mate.

He slipped in and out of sleep. Sometimes he would hear the door open, other times he would feel himself being injected. When he was injected, he became so weak that he couldn't even open his eyes.

The next time he awoke, he couldn't feel his body. When he opened his eyes, Luke was not there. He panicked, and could only groan.

He would take whatever punishment Robert would bestow on Luke. He didn't care if his leg or arm would be cut off, as long as it was not his mate. Luke did not deserve any pain.

He said a prayer to the Moon Goddess. He prayed for his mate's wellbeing, that if she were to take one of them, it should be him. He prayed that the Moon Goddess take him instead of his mate.

The door opened during his prayer. He kept going. He didn't open his eyes until he finished. When he opened them, he saw that he was on a wheelchair, and he was being taken somewhere.

He tried to speak, but words failed to form on his tongue. His head was lolled to the side.

He saw the many turns they took, but failed to memorize them. His bond was suppressed, and he could not feel Luke at all.

They pushed him up the stairs, the many bumps shaking his wheelchair made him appreciate whatever they gave him that made him numb.

With his pride, he wished that no one was present, except Robert. He didn't want anyone significant to him seeing him this way- defeated, a shell, and invalid because of whatever he was administered.