35: A Heartfelt Proposal

[victoria's pov]

Since the "chamber incident," I've been avoiding Tom... in public.

Richard was informing me daily on what he heard, yet I had a feeling he was sugar-coating a bit. It wasn't what he said that concerned me though, but rather the way people now looked at me differently. When I roamed the halls, I noticed more judgemental peers and more awkward silences.

"Aren't you aware of the rumours that are being spreaded?" I asked Tom as we were studying one night in my room.

I laid on my bed as he sat by my desk, quickly writing out an essay he had forgotten about. It was out of character for him, but I was also guilty of distracting him. It was just that once, otherwise he was still doing well in school despite the storm going on around him. I admired him for his strength.

"Of course, I'm aware of the rumours," Tom said. "I have eyes and ears everywhere."

Worse of all, Theodore was the hardest to face. Not that I had, but considering the rumours had fallen into place at the wrong time, it would be hard to explain.

"It was to keep him safe," I consoled myself one night. "It just didn't work out the way we wanted. He'll get over it."

I caught myself halfway at that thought.

What was wrong with me? I was a horrible person to think I could fall in love with someone and assume they'd get over me so easily. Love was not meant to be used typically. It was meant to be used with sincerity and cared for like glass. Love was fragile. How could I have easily lied to myself about it? Even though I knew deep down he was hurt, I couldn't find myself to gain remorse to apologise to him. Let alone talk to him about it. The only thing holding me back was my fear of rejection.

Still, I couldn't find myself to peel my eyes off him though. Whether it was in the common room or great hall. Speaking of which, I still could not consume food... and a longing hunger began to grow. Yet nothing I did helped.

My stomach aches often. Not just because of the monthly cycle, but because of the odd symptoms I've been having. My stomach was feeling hollow even though it looked normal. Yet I craved foods I couldn't consume.

The nurse had given me a tonic, but I couldn't taste it or feel it reach my stomach either.

As of now, my final career conference was taking place. I found myself sitting in Professor Merrythought's office once again.

"The term ends in three weeks... have you applied for any jobs yet?" she asked me as she rummaged through her files.

I shake my head lightly.

"It's been very distracting lately..." I started. "I'm aware it's not an excuse. In all honesty, I'm just not sure where to start."

"We should look at your previous exams and focus on your passions before deciding how to start," she suggests. She presses her spectacles lightly and an expression of surprise appears before her face. "I don't seem to have it here. Let's see... Minerva!."

A young first year student comes in, holding a pile of files.

"Yes, I've been listening and got it here!" she exclaimed quickly. She made her little feet to our desk and greeted me with a quick handshake. "Minerva McGonagall, Miss Merrythought's professor assistant."

She handed us my records and didn't think much to start a conversation. Perhaps because I was a Slytherin student who she didn't know well.

"Thank you," Professor Merrythought said as Minerva left the room quickly without another word. For a professor's assistant, she was quite young.