13: When Pigs Fly

[victoria's pov]

By the time Saturday had rolled around, the celebrations in Hogwarts of Grindelwald's defeat had cooled down. The school was now buzzing with excitement for the Slytherin and Gryffindor's quidditch game. Thirty minutes before the game, I could already see the whole school out in the stands and students making bets around professor Dumbledore's view–though I suspected he was pretending to not notice anything.

"Seems like the whole school's come to watch," Theo said, peeking out the curtain. "I see your other friend out on the front."

He moved aside and I saw Druella's newly dyed hair. She had a pair of silver spectacles in one hand and held a large Slytherin banner with a couple of first years. I grinned at the sight.

The banner showed an animated silver snake strangling a lion by the neck. Gryffindors booed and revealed a banner of their own, which showed a lion eating up a snake. I heard profanities get thrown afterward and left to check on my team.

I entered the locker room, happy to see Richard.

"Right on time," I said, nudging his arm. "Was worried you wouldn't make it."

Richard laughed and joined everyone outside of the locker room.

"Quite sunny today," Serenity noted. "Quite chilly though."

"Right, so," I turned my head to Theo and Rene. "Make sure you fly towards the sun. They won't see you coming."

"Yes, ma'am," Theo said with a lopsided grin.

Madam Cumberbatch called both teams on the field. I looked towards the Gryffindor quidditch team and recognised the ginger from the The Broomsticks. Up close, he was a lot built looking. I realised he was Gryffindor's keeper.

"Captains greet," Madam Cumbebratch said.

The ginger and I approached each other and he nodded his head once, shaking my hand.

"Weasley," he introduced himself. "Septimus Weasley."

"Victoria Locke," I said, breaking the handshake and inspecting his pin.

A voice behind us said, "Enough chit chat, come on." I recognised the voice as Theo's.

I made my way back to positions and clambered onto my Cleansweep five. (Fun fact: the Cleansweeps are also ridden by the Holyhead Harpies.)

"Would you look at that Silver Arrow!" I heard the commentary yip. I looked up at the staffs' stand and saw Helen Abbott admiring Theo's broom. "Looks brand new to me, does anyone else think so?"

The only response she got was a roar when Madam Cumberbatch blew her whistle. The fifteen brooms rose into the air and the quaffle soon followed.

From the crowd, Slytherins sang a silly chant.

"Ohhhhhhh Gryffindor is mighty small,

Gryffindor, they fly like pigs,

And ride on tiny twigs,

They're tiny and they're drawl,

Oh, Slytherin's the best of all,

And keep them all in thrall!"

A loud cheer and boos were blended together.

"Aaaand! We're off to a good start for Gryffindor, as the quaffle is snatched by their spectacular chaser Katherine Bell-"

Katherine, a brunette second year, flew past us with a red streak and I dived down after her. Abraxas blocked her direction to the hoops and she made a sharp turn, aiming her toss to another teammate. I barged in between, taking it into my arms, and spotted Richard on the other side of the field.