44: For the First Time Again

[author's pov]

Since Cygnus and Druella Black's wedding, Theo had not seen her face for six years. Except for in his dreams when he longed for her the most. In his dreams when he awakened back at Hogwarts when he thought everything was well. Before he discovered the truth.

Since his father had died, he became a busy young man, carrying the burdens of an only child and step-son. The loss of a father at twenty-five was still tragically young. His motives of relations with the dark arts were not known to anyone but him and one other. Though he did not regret it, his mind did often dwell on what could have been. In fact, he had been doing that for plenty of years, dwelling.

And with that on his mind, he did not think much of his youthfulness. His perfect complexion and what had really kept him waking up every morning. Her.

"Sir Nott, the guests have arrived," a house elf bowed as they left the room.

He acknowledged him with a simple nod before putting his eye mask on stepping out of his chamber, wearing a black suit and red button up with a black tie, trimmed with gold.

Unlike his father, who hosted silver and blue annual balls, he had decided there was a need for change. This time, the ball was richer in red and gold.

The dance floor was red-stained glass, enchanted to be unbreakable. The golden chandeliers hung highly and created light rays that beamed off the gold ornaments on the tall christmas trees, creating a spectacular aura of vintage.

Rather than just flowers, there were bouquets of bows and more ornaments that hung on the wall. On one entire side of a wall, was a large window, leading to the gardens. Above all the heads of the guests was a mirror from the tall ceiling. The orchestra played on both sides of the bifurcated stairs and above those stairs was Theo, his eyes on all who entered his home.

To him, it was a night to get over with. His eyes fell upon the wizards and witches wearing eye masks. He slowly walked down the steps to greet his guests.

From the doors entered Cygnus Black, Druella Black, Orion Black, and Walburga Black, Alphard Black, and Victoria Locke.

Cygnus and Druella matched green and silver robes. Orion, the older brother of Cygnus and Alphard Black, wore traditional wizard's robes with Walburga Black. The Black family truly lived up to their name as they made their way to greet the host.

"Druella, you failed to mention this was a masquerade Christmas ball," Victoria said through her smile as the Black family greeted the Malfoys.

Beside him was a beautiful blonde woman, perhaps younger. Underneath her mask was a set of pale blue eyes and she turned to Druella to greet herself.

"Cecillia Bones," she said.

"Soon to be Malfoy," Cygnus said with a grin, though Abraxas ignored his accurate remark and brought his wife along to meet the host.

Victoria looked around, overwhelmed by the company of many, greeting strangers she had never met. They were all kind, as it was a festive time. Yet, some familiar figures occurred to her. She quietly made a note.

"Carrows, Yaxley, Rookwood, Crabbe."

Unbeknownst to her, she had caught the eye of his. Theo.

She wore an arctic tulle gown that reached past her shoes and, over that tulle gown was a shear of darker blue fabric that draped over it. The breast of her dress was the same dark blue shade (with the thinnest detailings that flowed like a "v" to her front waist), rising for her collar bones until it created two unsymmetrical straps: one of silver chained diamonds, and the other of the same draped fabric.