30: Misunderstanding

[victoria's pov]

I shift uncomfortably in my second row seat as Professor Slughorn lectures the class about the effects of unicorn blood and curses. In front of me was Riddle who sits at the front of the classroom. It had already been two weeks since Riddle had spoken to me in the common room. He looks focused and unbothered by anyone else in the room as if his mind was exploring more than what we were told and the alternatives of what was possible. His lean back was arched only to write when he was so drawn by the darker lessons.

Theodore's lively eyes have dimmed. Before, his eyes were dull and I didn't see him as often anymore. But when we encountered each other, we didn't say a thing–despite his eyes saying thousands of words. It was as if we were both avoiding each other, aware of it. It gave me closure. But there were still nights when I deeply wished things had turned for the better. I didn't want to be just another woman who entered and left his life.

He's currently writing in his journal, pretending to take notes as Slughorn lectures the class. He seems to be in a daze, living in his own thoughts.

In the corridors, I peaked my head above the crowds to catch a glimpse of him. To see if he was really happy. Yet even though I knew it wasn't really him in the crowd, it gave me a comforting feeling to search for him. My head turns when a dark haired boy swifts past. My eyes beam when I think I hear his voice and my heart skips a beat when I catch his scent in the middle of no occasion.

Despite this, I hoped my longing was one sided.

It was apparent that Druella and I were no longer on speaking terms and seeing each other eye to eye, as she now roomed with Hesper Gamp–the same Slytherin who had taken over Serenity's position on the team.

In mention of the team, I had unofficially withdrawn from my title as captain and as expected, Abraxas had taken over. The only one who didn't seem disappointed about it was Abraxas and Gamp. Quidditch no longer gave me that exhilarating feel and the feeling of being grounded became more comforting.

 Quidditch no longer gave me that exhilarating feel and the feeling of being grounded became more comforting

"Miss Locke?" Slughorn's voice called.

My head turned and I faced the potions professor abruptly. "Yes, Professor Slughorn?"

"Has my class become a bore?" he asked me. "I would hate to lose my title as the most entertaining potions professor."

"Of course not," I responded with a confident smile. "I was just wondering- erm. When exactly do we get to work?"

Slughorn's clasped hands over his stomach flew into the air. "Ah, how ambitious! As a matter of fact, I was planning to have the class start in two days time, but in the spirit of enthusiasm we shall start now!"

A few groans in the class were sounded.

"Groups of three to four shall work!" Slughorn commanded. "I will pair the few of you together."