27: The Writing on the Wall

[author's pov]

Riddle had followed the young girl out the common room. He had a tendency to do so. But just this once, he figured he'd maybe release Victoria's potential she had always been afraid of.

Riddle selfishly wondered if it was obtainable from another host. This dark magic, he had been studying for years in hopes to obtain yet he couldn't help but wonder how a girl like her could end up with power as worthy as Salazar Slytherin's.

He stepped past the broad double doors and was taken aback by the sight. It was a storm like he'd never seen before. A dark yet majestic force of magic was dancing around the room. Then without a warning, it wildly shot across the room, a great wind pulling Riddle into the centre.

His wand flew from his hand and he rushed after it, struggling to see in the darkness. It surrounded him quickly like sand... yet the magic glistened like thick molasses. In the midst of the black chaos, he saw Serenity's face. His tie was loosened and he whipped his head in every direction, trying to find the girl who had summoned the darkness. The familiar magic pointed in only one direction he knew of. Now and then, he'd hear a voice fly by and when he had taken enough, Riddle motioned a shove against the magic with an incantation.

"Sile malum!"

There was a green flash and the darkness disappeared. In the middle of it all, was Victoria. It finally occurred to him. The darkness hadn't disappeared after all.

It was simply in hiding.

[victoria's pov]

I woke up with a pounding headache and a ring in my ears. The sun blinded me through my closed eyes as I pulled the comforter over my face. The unfamiliar scent reached my senses and I sat up, looking around in alarm.

I was not in my room. Though from familiarity, I knew I was still at Hogwarts.

"You're finally awake," a voice said and I turned my head to see Riddle adjusting his tie. He had his school uniform on and stared himself in the mirror as he spoke to me casually. After last night's events...

I slid out of his bed quickly with realisation.

"Your dormitory was locked last night... you were out cold. Jeez you can be quite pathetic at times."

Some part of me couldn't find myself to hate Riddle. After all, we both had blood on our hands.

"Thank you, Riddle," I said, standing at the foot of his bed. He finally looked away from the mirror and faced me. The tender look in his eyes brought me back to what happened last night... in the strange room.

"What happened last night?" I asked, trying to recollect my thoughts. "What was that- that room?"

"You don't remember a word I said last night?" Riddle questioned me. I shook my head and he approached me slowly with an interrogating look. "Think, Locke. Train your mind to be strong to overcome the voices."

Since when did he decide to become my professor? I remembered the cold touch of the snow. My fingertips frostbitten and the shuffling noise I made against the ground as I crawled away from-

"Serenity," I gasped. "She's alive, Riddle."

Riddle sighed deeply and said, "No. We got past that."

I furrowed my brows and opened my mouth to speak. No words came out and I shut it with a spark of frustration. Riddle's patience began to wear off as he took steps toward me and shook me by the shoulder.

"Think, woman!" he exclaimed. "For the sake of Salazar, keep your head!"

His touch made my body feel a ripple. His intense glare was intense enough to force me back to last night. His words echoed in my mind.