24: Impulsive Decisions

[victoria's pov]

Now that the snow had begun to melt, Quidditch tournaments were now on the rise again–with the help of protesting Gryffindors as well.

Though, there were many restrictions to when we were allowed to use the field and how far we were allowed to fly out. It wasn't the same as before, knowing Serenity was no longer around. I've skipped two quidditch lessons already and this time, Cygnus had the team personally contact me to show up to the next practice.

Hesper Gamp had taken her place. I haven't yet met her because Abraxas had taken care of it.

Flying on my broom was no longer exhilarating. Though it seemed like everyone had moved on, living day by day with exams back on as their only problem. I, too worried about the nearing exams. Not because of the pressure of N.E.W.Ts, but because I hadn't taken them yet, Dippet would most likely find no reason for me to withdraw from the school.

"Watch out!"

I turned my head and got tackled down inches to the ground, nearly getting my head blown off by a bludger. Abraxas' neck met my face and I could smell his manly cologne. His arms around me loosened as he got up quickly. His hair moved out of place and covered his forehead as he offered me a hand.

"Where's your head at?" he questioned me with a sigh.

"It's still attached thanks to you," I said, taking his hand. He pulled me off the ground and I stood up.

"It's not the time for jokes," Abraxas scolds me. "The new girl needs more practice and we need your head in the game-"

"It's not a good time for games!" I interrupt Malfoy with a raise of tone. Abraxas huffs and massages his temple in frustration. He faced me, nearing me with a quiet tone. "Look, Locke. Whatever happened in the forest that night-"

The hairs down my spine froze and my brow twitched with surprise. He knew? Abraxas' gaze grew grave and he took a step closer.

"You will not cost us this game," he spoke softly. "Not when we're close to victory."

"Why don't you be captain then if you're so committed," I spat.

He arched his brows. "I might just!"

He turned his heel and walked away, summoning the bludger back into its case with the flick of his wrist like a musician.

My mouth was screwed shut and I had so many questions. Of course Abraxas Malfoy was a part of Riddle's deceptive plans. I then felt a familiar paranoia and wondered who else was wearing a mask to hide their true colours...

Theo ran up to me as I flicked dirt off my uniform, still taken aback.

"Are you alright?" Theo asked me with a deep expression of concern in his eyes.

His eyes.

Cold yet warm.

"I'm alright," I lied. "It's just dirt."

Theo's eyes sharpened. "No. Are you alright?" he asked again with a more serious tone. He gripped my shoulders and faced me closer to him.

"I am," I lied with a hint of annoyance. It wouldn't be so hard to protect Theo from the truth if he wasn't so persistent.

He shut his eyes and sighed with disappointment. Theo shook his head slightly. "How can I help you if you can't even be honest with me..."

"How can you not trust me?" I question him. "I just haven't gotten much sleep since Serenity's been gone..."