40: Heartless

[victoria's pov]

"When?" I demanded from Tom when he apparated us back to the flat. "When did he become a death eater?"

After I recognised it was Theodore, I couldn't find myself to stay grounded. All I could think about was when and why it had even happened. I had missed an entire chapter.

"A few months ago at Hogwarts," Tom said, removing his cloak and hanging it. He was ignoring my reaction.

"But why," I demanded as he went up the stairs, forcing me to trail him. "Why did he not say anything? Why did he even become one in the first place?"

"I don't understand why you care this much if I'm the new man in your life," Tom said. "Must you make it a great deal?"

"Yes! It is not just about my past with Theodore, but the present that you're hiding from me, Tom."

Tom ignored me, packing a few things into a briefcase.

"Where're you going?" I pause.

"Away."

"We just got home," I say warningly, crossing my arms.

Tom turns and looks at me briefly before turning back to his things with a snicker. As always, my persistence was simply amusement. Even after I thought we had gone past that.

"I can come and go as I please," Tom says.

"At least tell me when you'll be back!" I exclaim. Instead, he goes downstairs without another word. I try to protest, but before he can even walk out the door, he apparates and vanishes.

I feel a surge of anger rise and yell frustratingly, knocking over a pile of ceramics. As much as I enjoyed Tom's affection, he was able to bring out the worst in me.

I knocked over a stack of books and mail that had been building over the past weeks. Pulling back my hair with anger, I find myself collected. On the floor was the pile of mail, including a wedding invitation for two to the wedding of Cygnus and Druella Black and letters from Gwendelyn.

Despite Druella being the biggest traitor I know, it was good to see some light in the drewry atmosphere that had surrounded the Wizarding World and muggle war. Had it not been for Tom though, I would have no purpose to be here.

"But I too, can come and go as I please," I thought aloud, still frustrated and headed for the door. I reached for the handle, but before I could even touch it, I saw a black cloud of dust surround me quickly before I stumbled upon a rather large tavern.

That had been happening a lot, my magic assisting me in moments I needed most.

I knew it wasn't apparition because I hadn't passed the test at Hogwarts or at the Ministry.

It had to be the obscurus' magic.