6: Pine Wood

[victoria's pov]

"We're actually on time today," Druella said cheerfully as we entered Potions class. I wasn't surprised to first see the teacher's pet inside already. His nose was stuck in a book, already reading ahead for today's lesson. Slughorn was nowhere in sight.

The classroom had dim lighting and round tables stood in the middle of the eight sections. The dark wood shelves were filled with things from gillyweed to pixie wings, lesson books that were almost as old as the school, jars of siren scales and rare items were kept on the highest shelves, and fossils of long gone creatures decorated the desks. The windows were stained yellow (or were probably just uncleaned,) spiderwebs weren't hard to spot, and the room now reeked of Kakran blood.

 The windows were stained yellow (or were probably just uncleaned,) spiderwebs weren't hard to spot, and the room now reeked of Kakran blood

Druella sprayed some of her perfume, pinching the end of her nose.

"It smells like the muggle fish market," she complained. "Horrifying experience. Never again."

We sat in the second row, close to the door, far away from Riddle. Our class was a mix of Hufflepuffs and Slytherins. I didn't know many Hufflepuffs but a handful of them were quite intelligent.

"Good afternoon, students," Slughorn said, entering the classroom with his hand full of scrolls. He set them down and gave a sigh of exhaustion. The professor looked around the room and said, "Ah, good Riddle. Getting a head start already, aren't you? Always so ambitious to learn just as I had been as a young student."

Slughorn usually blabbed about a student that turned into a show-and-brag at the beginning of every lesson. It was no secret he had a handful of favourites. His Slug Club proved it. Every now or so, Slughorn would host an event and invite his club and the clubs' guests for a night. Honestly, it sounded quite fun but I didn't know fun without Serenity and Druella.

A topic of the Minister's grandson was mentioned but I got distracted when I heard a "Pst." I turned behind me and saw Cygnus Black. What did he want?

"Could we swap seats?" he asked with pleading eyes. Theodore was sitting next to him.

"No."

He frowned slightly and said, "I'll do this week's homework for you."

He must have been desperate because Slughorn always gave out homework with two-day deadlines. I hesitated, wondering if sitting next to someone who made me nervous was worth a break of homework.

"Deal," I said, standing up. We swapped seats and Druella's brows furrowed with confusion. Her face read, "Why're you leaving me with him?!" But I knew she partly appreciated it.

I took my new seat behind Black.

It comes to my attention that Theo's journal is beside him. I could almost say it's his diary as he snaps it shut and sets down his quill when Black shifts away.

"Hey," he whispered to Druella. She could barely respond back but snapped back to reality and replied, "Hello, Black," with sass.

A hot breath brushed against my neck and Theodore whispered, "How long do you think those two will keep going at it?"