Chapter 163 - Yang Qian

Start from the beginning

...Back to the present time, in Gaochang.

Yaoying smiled and stared at the heroic Yang Qian in front of her, feeling countless emotions in her heart. She dared to come to Gaochang not just to try her luck.

Regardless of when and where, in times of shattered mountains and rivers, there will always be heroes like the ancestors of the Zhu family, Xie Wuliang, and Yang Qian. They take it as their own duty to save countless people, laying down their lives and shedding hot blood, facing death with equanimity, and moving forward courageously.

When she first arrived in Gaochang, she inquired about Yang Qian's character, which left her both laughing and crying: young Yang Qian was a playboy, indulging in hunting, wandering around in love affairs, accomplishing nothing, and was a well-known dandy far and wide.

Yao Ying couldn't help but wonder: Could it be that there's a mistaken identity? Or perhaps the person buried in the desert had a different identity?

She ordered Lao Qi to post that the prominent families invited were selected after careful consideration. When she said that she wanted to invite Yang Qian, Lao Qi firmly objected: "Princess, Yang Qian is young, impulsive, and spends his days idly. Such a person is not worthy of deep connection. I heard that just a few days ago, he got jealous over a courtesan and even showed disrespect to the clan elders, so he was reprimanded after."

Yao Ying hesitated for a long time, but ultimately decided to meet Yang Qian first before making a decision. After all, he shared the same name and surname, was of similar age, and happened to be a child of a prominent families of the Hexi region.

Regardless, those dried bones must have a connection with Yang Qian.

Upon meeting him, Yao Ying was convinced that she hadn't found the wrong person.

Among the prominent families, middle-aged men all spoke with a peculiar accent, and some elderly people with snowy hair had even forgotten their local dialect. Yet the youngest of them all, Yang Qian, could speak the authentic dialect of Hexi. He was indeed the very person represented by those dried bones, buried in the shifting sands, still facing eastward.

Yao Ying smiled at that moment.

Yang Qian revealed all his thoughts as soon as he opened his mouth. He actually deliberately provoked her and tested her, and now he is following her to find out her details.

Little did he know, she had already concluded that he would cooperate with her. It was because he constantly yearned to restore communication with the Central Plains as soon as possible.

Yang Qian confronted Yao Ying, intending to intimidate her but she remained calm and composed, responding with a smile. He was young after all, annoyed by her composed demeanor, Yang Qian coldly remarked, "Princess Wenzhao, calamity is impending, and death is near, yet here you are, carefree. I truly admire you."

Yao Ying lightly chuckled, "Young Master Yang, what do you mean by that?"

Yang Qian replied arrogantly, "Does Princess Wenzhao believe that those people you met today are trustworthy? Let me tell you the truth, they swore by the heavens, claiming their loyalty to Chang'an and longing to return eastward, shedding tears as if they had lost their mothers. They even vowed not to disclose your identity. But in fact, each of them is treacherous. Perhaps someone has already gone to the palace to report on you."

Yao Ying's expression changed slightly as she inquired, "So, Young Master Yang, what do you suggest I should do?"

Raising his chin even higher, Yang Qian declared, "My ancestral home is in Hexi, and all of my ancestors were famous generals of Hexi. My grandfather was once the commander of Hexi Capital and on his deathbed, he entrusted me to never to forget our homeland. Now that Great Wei has unified the Central Plains, my Yang clan should be loyal to Great Wei. As the princess of Great Wei, exiled to Gaochang alone and helpless, it's my duty as a member of the Yang family to take care of the princess."

He subtly puffed out his chest, trying to appear taller and more robust. "Princess, you can trust me. Come and seek refuge at my mansion. I can guarantee that with me around, no one will dare lay a finger on you!"

After hearing this, the onlookers exchanged uncertain glances, showing a variety of expressions.

Yuan Jue suddenly felt a strange feeling in his heart, a little angry and a little uneasy: the princess is the king's mordenga maiden, and it is not the turn of the young man in front of him to meddle in the affairs of the Princess!

He glanced at Yao Ying.

Yao Ying continued to smile. She was convinced she had not misjudged him; among the people she had met today, Yang Qian was the most sincere.

She asked with a smile: "Master Yang, aren't you afraid of those people going to the palace to report you?"

Yang Qian straightened his back, gripping his long sword tightly. "I am not afraid of them! My family has a close relationship with the Yuchi family. Even if they report to the lord of the country, I can still protect the princess."

Yao Ying glanced at the sky and said, "Young Master Yang is right. Among the Zhaos, Yangs, and Zhangs, some have loyal hearts toward the Central Plains, while others may have joined the Northern Rong Barbarians. They are not all to be trusted. After meeting them, and revealing my identity, I'm sure some of them must want to take this opportunity to please Lady Yina..."

A look of smugness spread across Yang Qian's face.

Yaoying suddenly changed the topic and raised the corners of her lips slightly, "Master Yang, how do you think we should deal with those treacherous people?"

Yang Qian was momentarily taken aback.