Yggdrasil's Epilogue: The End of an Old World - Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Good, I can't wait to meet your friends. Take care until then, and make sure to take all your health meds properly. But I guess I don't need to say that, considering your maid is already there for that. I guess I can't compare myself to your maid; she's the one always taking care of you, after all," said his father with a troubled chuckle on the other side. Lucian winced a little in response; his long black hair fell to the side as he leaned back. His father had a knack for teasing him.

"Yeah, yeah, I have my Mei Mei for my needs. Anyway, how many times have I told you to stop answering my calls when you're busy? If you're in meetings, you could just text me to call you back or let me know when to call later," Lucian said with an exaggerated shake of his head. He did this because the caller could see his face, while he couldn't see his father's due to the ongoing meeting, or at least that's what he claimed.

"You're right. I guess I'll heed my son's advice then," replied the caller with a small chuckle.

"Indeed," Lucian responded with a confirming "umu."

"Well then, I'll end the call and talk to you later," the caller said, and Lucian looked at the screen before displaying a radiant smile, a gesture reserved for the people he was closest to.

"Take care, Dad."

"You too, son," replied the caller.

The call ended, and the rain continued to pour while lightning crackled outside. Lucian sat in his seat, staring at the call screen. He couldn't shake off a strange, unsettling feeling as if what had just transpired wasn't entirely real. This sense of unreality lingered, but he couldn't quite put it into words. Nonetheless, he quickly shook his head to clear his thoughts. He didn't need any unnecessary worries at the moment; he already had three of them on his mind (referring to the girls).

At the same time, on the opposite side of the world, a private jet cruised over the now dystopian South America, gliding through the skies of the Brazilian Arcology. The private jet zipped through the air at an incredible speed, en route to its next destination, North America.

Within the plane, numerous attendants bustled about, attending to their duties. In the private quarter, the owner of the jet, one of the most influential individual in the world, reclined comfortably.

"Things aren't always as they seem," the owner mused with a soft voice, a glass of wine in hand. Sitting by the window, they took a sip and continued, "What's clear and obvious is just one side of the story. There's also a hidden side that might not make sense right away. Some truths come to light after we think about them, while others remain puzzling no matter how hard we try to understand. It's often when we look back, using our experience and knowledge, that we can truly understand the world and its complexities."

"Is reality truly what you perceive? Or is everything just a false illusion created by the brain..." the figure pondered, taking another sip of wine, a smile now gracing their lips.

"My dear son, what is this world in the face of reality? An illusion that will soon shatter, bringing you back to me...." the figure declared, bursting into laughter. Perhaps their own thoughts were too amusing, and they spilled wine all over the place, including the expensive seat. But to the wealthiest in the world, such mishaps were inconsequential.

"Lucian, I simply can't wait to see you again soon... my dear son," the figure purred, taking another deliberate sip of the rich wine. They paid no heed to the expensive wine splashing across their surrounding, their eyes sparkling with an unsettling fervor.

*****

Time passed by in the blink of an eye, and years went by since Lucian started playing the DMMO-RPG Yggdrasil. Lucian was savoring every moment of his life, for he had his loved ones to share those moments with, finding joy and fun in their company. Although not everything unfolded as he hoped, Lucian accepted the twists and turns, and he kept moving forward. He made an effort to find joy in every little thing, whether it was indulging in a slice of cake, staying active through exercise, or enjoying comedy sketches. Each experience brought some measure of joy to his life.