Chapter 9

Recap:

By then she had already lost all track of time, and was glad for the tendrils of sleep wrapping themselves around her, offering a much needed escape from reality. As she finally succumbed to the bliss of oblivion she vaguely remembered the sound of a door opening and herself being carried to a different room and placed down on an all too soft mattress. A feather light kiss was placed onto her forehead followed by a loving caress across her cheek.

"Sleep well, my queen." A vaguely familiar voice awhispered before she slipped completely into the clutches of sleep.

Chapter 9

The chirping of birds intruded upon the dreamless sleep Victoria had been peacefully enjoying. Letting out a discontented sigh, she groggily got up and slid out of bed, about to get ready for the day. Once clad in college-appropriate clothing, she glanced at the clock, her eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets as she saw she had missed her first class of the day.

What happened to my alarm? Why didn't it ring?

Perplexed, she bolted down the stairs and ran into the kitchen intent on grabbing something light and simple to munch on the way to college. Spotting all of her guards gathered about the counter enjoying a luxurious breakfast she slid to a halt.

"Why didn't you wake me? It's already ten, I missed my first class." She grumbled as she searched the refrigerator for a simple snack.

"About that...boss's orders are that you are not to leave the house until he says otherwise." Gabriel sighed.

"W-what?" Unable to comprehend what Gabriel had just informed her, Victoria stumbled to a chair and unsteadily lowered herself into it.

He's stopped me from going to college? He knew how much it meant to me, how could he do this?

Dread pooled in her stomach, it was entirely possible that Clayton may never allow her to go to college again. Considering the fact that she was entirely at his mercy she was in no position to demand that he comply with her wishes and send her to college. Sure he may state that he cared about her, but that didn't mean she had any actual deciding power.

"Where is Clayton?" She could barely even recognise her own voice.

"In his office." Gabriel informed her, motioning to James he spoke, "James, escort her to the office."

Taking her elbow in a gentle yet firm grip, James led her into the maze of corridors of Clayton's house. Minutes later, Victoria found herself standing outside a large wooden door. James knocked on the door and stuck his head inside, conversing with the occupant of the room. Pulling back he gently nudged her forward, holding the door open for her.

"Boss will see you now." He informed her.

Smiling at James in gratitude, Victoria shuffled into the room and closed the door behind her. Trepidation crawled up her spine, who knew what the outcome of this conversation would be?

Seated at the opposite end of the room behind an imposing desk with a large black chair behind it, and two chairs placed in front of it, sat the majestic figure of Clayton; the owner of her life. Hands clasped in front of him, he gazed calmly at her, eyes not betraying a sliver of emotion, he emitted as much warmth as a marble slab. Taking a deep breath, Victoria shuffled forward till she reached the chairs in front of his desk.