𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 21

The damp echoes of their footsteps reverberates through the Tower Tunnel as Ethereal, Matt, Evie, and Sebastian emerge from the aftermath of a harrowing battle against goblins and spiders. The air hangs heavy with the scent of magic and the lingering fear of the encounter. Matt, visibly shaken, clutches his wand tightly, his knuckles turning white.

"A-Are there going to be more spiders?"

"Matt, we're in a cave. A dark, creepy cave. Of course, there are going to be more spiders. Pull yourself together!!" The stone path leads Ethereal, Matt, Evie, and Sebastian into yet another spacious room, but this time, a low growl echoes through the chamber. Their eyes widen as they catch sight of a massive troll, its hulking figure outlined against the dim light.

"I-I t-think I'm going t-to sit this o-one out..." Matt's face drains of color as he closes his eyes and falls backwards, hitting the cold floor with a loud thud.

"Are you kidding me, Matt? Pull yourself together!" Evie snaps. "We can't afford to have you fainting every time something big and ugly shows up!!"

"Take cover, both of you. I'll handle the troll. Ethereal, provide support from a distance."

"Ugh... I'm not here to watch from the sidelines." Ethereal defies.

"Ethereal, I appreciate the offer, but I can handle this. I've faced trolls before." Sebastian shoots her an annoyed look.

"You're not the only one." Before their debate can escalate further, Evie pushes herself between them.

"Move aside!" Evie swiftly casts Confringo, hitting the troll square in the chest and causing a fiery explosion. The force of the blast sends the troll stumbling backward, its roar echoing through the chamber. Evie turns to Ethereal and Sebastian, a smirk playing on her lips. "See? Teamwork. Now, let's keep moving before anything else decides to pop out and say hello."

~~~

"Aha! The triptych's finally complete!"

"It's certainly not thanks to you, Matt."

"Shove off, Vi."

"She took away the pain." Sebastian gasps, still shaken by the memory he has witnessed. "I knew it! I knew there was a way to help Anne."

"Something isn't right, Sebastian..." Ethereal frowns as her gaze remains on the complete triptych.

"What do you mean? You saw what she did." He comments.

"No, not the memories... the portrait." Ethereal snaps. "I think... the reason Isidora hasn't appeared is because she can't."

"I don't follow..." Matt blurts out in confusion, soon followed by Evie.

"Me neither Ether."

"We have seen that view before. The abandoned home in Feldcroft, the destroyed painting... it was her." The black haired girl explains.

"So, someone destroyed a bit of enchanted canvas- " Sebastian sighs, clearly unfazed. "But we found the memory!"

"Yes..." Ethereal shrugs. "Yes, you're right."

"We saw what she wanted us to see. We saw what she could do. What you can do!"

"Seb- hold on a second." Evie insists.

"But- I don't know how to do what Isidora did-"

"Well, then you should learn. The Keepers can teach you."

"Seb, that's enough-" Evie spat. "I'm not even sure they would teach her."

"She's right, the Keepers believe that removing someone's ability to feel pain- it's a highly complicated, unpredictable form of magic. One that should be wielded with great care- if it all."