𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 6

"So... if I understand correctly..."

"You want to find the missing pages of a book."

"And all of that for what?" Evie whispers, making sure no one else can overhear their discussion. The Great Hall at Hogwarts is filled with the usual lively chatter as students enjoy their meals. Ethereal, Evie, and Matt sit together at the Hufflepuff table, their heads close together in deep conversation. "Where would it lead you to?"

"To stop the biggest threat in the wizarding world, Ranrok." Ethereal replies, keeping her voice low. "Look, Professor Fig isn't available since he's at the ministry so we can only rely on ourselves... We need to find the pages location."

"You're right... but how are we supposed to find those pages if we don't know where to begin?" Evie asks hesitatingly.

"Well, I was hoping you could help me."

"Maybe someone accidentally tore them or lost them? Do you know the last person who possessed the book?" Matt asks curiously.

"No idea..." Ethereal shakes her head in disbelief. "Anyways, I have Care of Magical Creatures. I'll see you lot this evening."

"See ya, Ether."

~~~

Matt is fast asleep on a comfortable couch in the D.A.D.A. tower. The gentle crackling of the fireplace provides a warm and cozy ambiance. As he snoozes peacefully, a figure quietly enters the corridor, her steps barely making a sound on the soft carpet.

"Are you Matt Bouvier?" Matt stirs and opens his eyes groggily, blinking to adjust to the dimly lit room.

"Y-yes?"

"Eldritch Diggory wishes to speak with you... he's in our common room."

"Eldritch Diggory? Why does he want to talk to me?" He asks hesitatingly as rubs his eyes, still feeling disoriented from being woken up so suddenly.

"I'm not sure, but he seemed urgent. He asked me to find you." Matt stands up from the cold floor, stumbling slightly as he tries to shake off the drowsiness. He gathers his wits and heads toward the entrance of the Hufflepuff common room.

"You wanted to see me sir?"

"Indeed. Allow me to introduce myself. So few students know who I am these days. Eldritch Diggory." The elder man in the painting explains. "Former Minister for Magic and founder of the Auror Recruitment Programme, at your service. I believe you can help solve a decades-old murder- thanks to that book you found and, in particular, its missing pages."

"How do you know about the book? And the pages?" Matt asks suspiciously.

"We portraits hear more than you might suspect, and most of us can keep a secret." The man asks curiously. "So, what say you? Surely a Hufflepuff such as yourself wold be inclined to help seek long overdue justice."

"Hmm... I'll do whatever I can."

"Wonderful. I am pleased to have been right about you. My great-niece, Helen Thistlewood, can provide you with details. She's retired now but was a skilled Auror in her day- and the unsolved murder of which I speak was her case. I often visit my portait in her home, in the nearby hamlet of Upper Hogsfield. Shall I tell her to expect you?"

"But... how could a few pages of a book help her solve an old castle?"

"A boy disappeared with those pages, but they never found the body. A girl was convicted of his murder nonetheless." Diggory sighs. "It seems those pages could exonerate her somehow. My great(nice can tell you more."