𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 19

"I can't believe Scribner scolded me earlier. It was just a few books."

"Well, you shouldn't be so clumsy." In the hushed ambiance of the Hogwarts library, the soft rustle of pages being turned and the occasional whisper of students fills the air. Evie and Matt sit at a secluded table, their voices lowered to a mere murmur as they engage in conversation.

"Hey, what's going on here?" Ethereal asks, her voice hushed to match the library's decorum.

"We're just talking about how Matt got scolded by Scribner earlier." Evie glances up at Ethereal, a hint of bemusement in her eyes.

"Doesn't surprise me." Ethereal states as she takes a seat. "What did you do? Drop some books?"

"How did you know?!"

"Anyways, I just completed the third trial. Only one left now."

"What kind of trial was it this time?"

"I've had to face some... monstrosities, and even confront death itself." Ethereal explains. "It was disturbing... I had to hide away from figures who had the appearance of death whilst listening to villagers scream in horror."

"Monstrosities? Death? Ethereal, what in Merlin's name are you talking about?" Matt's face drained of color, and he clutched the edge of the table, his voice quivering. "Thank god these trials are almost done- well ladies, I would love to talk more... but I have Potions now."

"Alright, see you."

~~~

"Good morning students."

"Good morning Professor Sharp!"

"I can't wait to know what we're going to make in potions class!"

"I hope we'll be making Draught of Living Death, or liquid luck!"

"Oh! What's that smell?"

"It's quite nice."

"It smells like citrus..."

"No it doesn't, it's more like rose."

"Rose? I smell paint." Most of the students gather curiously around the cauldron filled with an unknown liquid placed in the center of the classroom.

"I think it smells like you." Matt states. "Don't you wear lavender perfume?"

"I do, how do you know?" Poppy raises a brow suspiciously.

"What are you talking about? It clearly smells like butterbeer." A random student snaps.

"Butterbeer?"

"Ahem." The professor interrupts. "The potion we'll be studying today is... Amortentia."

"Amortentia?" Matt breathed out in shock.

"Does someone know what Amortentia is?"

"Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in the world, it is said to smell different to each person, according to what attracts them." Many students burst out of laughter, giggled or whispered snarky comments of what Matt had just said earlier. He looks down in shame as a red hue dusts his cheeks.

"Oooooh... Bouvier fancies Sweeting."

"So awkward."

"Now now, settle down everyone. To your posts!" Matt wastes no time on finding his spot and quickly preparing the potion. Poppy does the same as she pours the ingredients into the cauldron with pink cheeks and shaky hands.

'What did I get myself into?'

~~~

The Great Hall is busy and loud at this hour of the day, as lunchtime arrives, the Great Hall buzzed with energy. Students from all houses gather together, their robes in vibrant hues, as they find their places at the long tables. Laughter and conversation fills the air, creating a lively ambiance. But for Matt, he is fuming inside of rage and embarrassment... he sighs loudly as he approaches the Great Hall. Dropping his head down, he walks towards his designed table as he ignores the indiscreet whispers and rumors. Matt couldn't help but feel self-conscious about the state of his attire, of course during Potions class, he had spilled various potion ingredients as well as concoctions on his robes, creating a mess on his clothes but also on his table. He finally reaches the Slytherin table and takes a seat in front of Ethereal, his expression one of disheveled fatigue.