𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 8

"I recognize you from the Pensieves... your Perceval Rackham."

"I am indeed. I must confess, I'm surprised to see people so young standing before me."

"We're around the same age as you and Isidora Morganach were when you started at Hogwarts." Matt mentions.

"You paid attention. And I might presume, all of you share our... ability?"

"To see traces of ancient magic? Only I can, sir." Ethereal nods.

"Very well, as you have likely realized by now, our ability gives us a unique relationship with all forms of magic." The man in the painting comments. "We can access expressions of magic that few others can. Opportunities will arise that allow you to sharpen this rare talent. Do not squander them."

"I won't Professor... thank you."

"We have much to discuss. But first... a map found in a certain book led you here. Place the book on the pedestal."

"I'm afraid we don't have it sir..." Evie frowns. "We left it with our Professor, and he's at the Ministry for a few days."

"Hmm... that is unfortunate. I'm afraid we must pause our conversation until you return with the book."

The Great Hall buzzes with activity as students gather for lunch, their conversations and laughter filling the air. Ethereal's eyes scan the room, her gaze locking onto Matt and Evie, who are deep in conversation at the Hufflepuff table. A small smile tugs at Ethereal's lips, and she starts to make her way towards them.

"Hey D'Ovell! Over here." Just as she's about to approach, a voice cuts through the air, drawing her attention. Ethereal turns to see Imelda waving her over from the Slytherin table. She hesitates, her curiosity piqued by the unexpected invitation. She glances back at Matt and Evie before nodding at Imelda and changing her course, making her way toward the Slytherin table.

"Well, well, well, looks like Ethereal's making some new friends!" Matt chuckles as he watches his friend talking to the Slytherin girl. "What's that face?"

"Piss off, I just didn't expect her to be so chummy with Imelda Reyes of all people." Evie mumbles as she pokes her food sulkily. "You know, Imelda challenged her in Flying Class today. Ethereal beat her. She's gotten really good on a broom."

"Well, well, well, look who's earning respect on the Quidditch field."

"Too bad Professor Black cancelled Quidditch, it must be fun to watch." Evie sighs, she jumps when Garreth slumps into the seat next to her. "A warning next time maybe? You scared the sh!t out of me."

"Sorry! I was actually looking for you three- two? Where's the other one?"

"Befriending Imelda Reyes." Evie growls as she stabs her potatoes with her knife.

"Oh, come on, Evie. Are you feeling left out now that Ethereal has a new friend?"

"No, I'm not feeling left out." She scoffs. "It's just... strange, that's all."

"Strange, huh? Well, life's full of surprises." He cheekily replies. Evie rolls her eyes at Garreth's teasing tone, but a small smile tugs at her lips despite her sulking. "Anyways, I just wanted to inform you that Professor Weasley is searching for you.

"Ugh! Matt! I'm sure it's your fault." Evie exclaims in annoyance.

"What?! Did someone find out I clogged the toilet?!" He gasps in horror. "That house-elf reassured me he wouldn't tell anyone! Wait a minute- I swear if it's Ether I'll kill her!"