𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 12

'This is sh!tty...'

'Why me of all people?'

'How come the Hospital Wing's closed today?'

The corridors of Hogwarts Castle are dimly lit. The stone walls are adorned with flickering torches, casting eerie shadows on the surroundings. The atmosphere is tense, and a faint echo of distant whispers can be heard. Ethereal, with disheveled robes and a bruised face, walks with a noticeable limp. She curses mentally as she holds her side in pain. Sweat drips down their forehead, and her expression revealed a mix of pain, exhaustion, and determination.

"Wow... nice makeover D'Ovell."

"Shove off Blume." Ethereal hisses as Cressida Blume walks passed her with a mocking grin. The massive double doors to the Great Hall swing open, revealing the grandeur within. Warm candlelight dances across the long tables, where students and teachers sit, a few gazes shifting from Ethereal's entrance to the weary figure making their way towards the Hufflepuff table.

"Where have you been?" Evie gasps as she notices the state she is in.

"I tripped." Ethereal says, pressing a napkin on the cut on her cheek.

"You tripped?" Evie raises a brow unconvinced. Whispers fill the air as students from the Hufflepuff table start to notice her condition. "What really happened?"

"Ugh... goblins... Rookwood's castle... Ashwinders... and stupid knights." Ethereal mumbles as she places her hand on her bruised jaw. "Ow..."

"What in Merlin's beard happened to you?" Garreth chuckles, Ethereal wishes she can punch the smirk off his face but decides not to.

"She tripped." Matt replies confidently before he is smacked on the back of the head. "Ow!"

"Long story Gareth." Evie smiles sweetly. "What do you need?"

"Oh, well I was hoping you could help me with the potions assignement we have to give in two days..." He blurts out nervously as he scratches the back of his head.

"She's taken- OW!!!" Ethereal muffles a scream as Evie pinches her bruised side.

"Of course I'll help you, I'll meet you in the library in a few minutes?"

"Sure thing, I'll wait for you there." He winks and leaves the table. "Oh, and good luck on your recovery Ethereal!"

"I thought you were helping me with potions?" Ethereal questions.

"I'll help you AFTER I help Gareth." She grins and sticks her tongue out.

"Right, everything for your precious Gryffindor." Matt teases. "By the way, I have to go... meet someone at Hogsmeade this evening. I'll meet you to at dinner."

"Where are you going?" Ethereal asks confused.

"Aha, not telling. See ya!" Ethereal and Evie watch as Matt rapidly walks out of the Great Hall, they glance at each other with a knowing look.

"We're definitely following him."

"Definitely."

~~~

"Are you sure Matt came this way?"

"Yeah, I saw him slip into the forest just a few minutes ago. We have to be careful, Ether. Who knows what's lurking out here?" Evie replies as she rubs her hands frantically, letting out smoke from her breathing due to the cold air.

"We can't let him wander off on his own. If something happens, we're his friends." Evie nods, understanding the gravity of the situation. They press on, their footsteps muffled by the layer of frozen leaves beneath them. "Plus... Poppy's there as well, what if something happened to both of them? Knowing Matt, they'll definitely get into trouble."